Effectiveness of Vitamin D Supplementation for Cardiovascular Health OutcomesVeloudi P. · Jones G. · Sharman J.E.
Menzies Institute for Medical Research, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia
Assoc. Prof. James E. Sharman
Menzies Institute for Medical Research, University of Tasmania
Medical Science 1 Building, Liverpool Street
Hobart, TAS 7000 (Australia)
Do you have an account?
There is a plausible physiological theory, supported by many observational studies, that vitamin D supplementation should be effective for improving cardiovascular end points, such as blood pressure (BP), large artery stiffness, atherosclerosis, endothelial function and clinical events. However, results from randomised controlled trials (RCTs) have been inconsistent. In this review, we evaluated the evidence regarding the effectiveness of vitamin D supplementation for cardiovascular surrogate and hard clinical end points. RCTs were assessed in terms of sample size, duration of supplementation, baseline vitamin D level inclusion criteria (i.e., absence of vitamin D deficiency), dosage of vitamin D and population under investigation. Forty-five RCTs were identified. Eight RCTs with BP and 6 RCTs with large artery stiffness as the end points were found to comply with guidelines for the optimal design of clinical trials evaluating nutrient effects. Only 2 of the RCTs with an optimal design were effective in decreasing BP with vitamin D supplementation, although these were of moderate sample size (<150) and very short duration (8 weeks for both), whilst no RCT was effective in reducing large artery stiffness. Similar results were observed for atherosclerotic and endothelial function markers as end points. Only 1 RCT reported cardiovascular events as an end point and found neither increased nor decreased incident cardiovascular events over 7 years of follow-up. In conclusion, results from published RCTs indicate that vitamin D supplementation is ineffective in improving cardiovascular health among various patient populations, including in the presence or absence of vitamin D deficiency.
© 2016 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Gunton JE, Girgis CM, Baldock PA, Lips P: Bone muscle interactions and vitamin D. Bone 2015;80:89-94.
- Tetlow LC, Woolley DE: Expression of vitamin D receptors and matrix metalloproteinases in osteoarthritic cartilage and human articular chondrocytes in vitro. Osteoarthr Cartilage 2001;9:423-431.
- Norman PE, Powell JT: Vitamin D and cardiovascular disease. Circ Res 2014;114:379-393.
- Rahman A, Hershey S, Ahmed S, Nibbelink K, Simpson RU: Heart extracellular matrix gene expression profile in the vitamin D receptor knockout mice. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2007;103:416-419.
- Wu-Wong JR, Nakane M, Ma J: Vitamin D analogs modulate the expression of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1, thrombospondin-1 and thrombomodulin in human aortic smooth muscle cells. J Vasc Res 2007;44:11-18.
- Eelen G, Verlinden L, Laureys J, Marcelis S, De Clercq P, Mathieu C, et al: Antiproliferative and calcemic actions of trans-decalin CD-ring analogs of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. Anticancer Res 2009;29:3579-3584.
- Li YC, Kong J, Wei M, Chen ZF, Liu SQ, Cao LP: 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D(3) is a negative endocrine regulator of the renin-angiotensin system. J Clin Invest 2002;110:229-238.
- Yuan W, Pan W, Kong J, Zheng W, Szeto FL, Wong KE, et al: 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 suppresses renin gene transcription by blocking the activity of the cyclic AMP response element in the renin gene promoter. J Biol Chem 2007;282:29821-29830.
- Cecelja M, Chowienczyk P: Dissociation of aortic pulse wave velocity with risk factors for cardiovascular disease other than hypertension: a systematic review. Hypertension 2009;54:1328-1336.
- Kestenbaum B, Katz R, de Boer I, Hoofnagle A, Sarnak MJ, Shlipak MG, et al: Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone, and cardiovascular events among older adults. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;58:1433-1441.
- Drechsler C, Pilz S, Obermayer-Pietsch B, Verduijn M, Tomaschitz A, Krane V, et al: Vitamin D deficiency is associated with sudden cardiac death, combined cardiovascular events, and mortality in haemodialysis patients. Eur Heart J 2010;31:2253-2261.
- Correia LC, Sodre F, Garcia G, Sabino M, Brito M, Kalil F, et al: Relation of severe deficiency of vitamin D to cardiovascular mortality during acute coronary syndromes. Am J Cardiol 2013;111:324-327.
- Anderson JL, May HT, Horne BD, Bair TL, Hall NL, Carlquist JF, et al: Relation of vitamin D deficiency to cardiovascular risk factors, disease status, and incident events in a general healthcare population. Am J Cardiol 2010;106:963-968.
- Fiscella K, Franks P: Vitamin D, race, and cardiovascular mortality: findings from a national US sample. Ann Fam Med 2010;8:11-18.
- Schierbeck LL, Jensen TS, Bang U, Jensen G, Kober L, Jensen JE: Parathyroid hormone and vitamin D - markers for cardiovascular and all cause mortality in heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2011;13:626-632.
- Thomas GN, ó Hartaigh B, Bosch JA, Pilz S, Loerbroks A, Kleber ME, et al: Vitamin D levels predict all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in subjects with the metabolic syndrome: the Ludwigshafen Risk and Cardiovascular Health (LURIC) Study. Diabetes Care 2012;35:1158-1164.
- Lee HM, Liu M, Lee K, Luo Y, Wong ND: Does low vitamin D amplify the association of COPD with total and cardiovascular disease mortality? Clin Cardiol 2014;37:473-478.
- Lishmanov A, Dorairajan S, Pak Y, Chaudhary K, Chockalingam A: Treatment of 25-OH vitamin D deficiency in older men with chronic kidney disease stages 3 and 4 is associated with reduction in cardiovascular events. Am J Ther 2013;20:480-486.
- Shoji T, Shinohara K, Kimoto E, Emoto M, Tahara H, Koyama H, et al: Lower risk for cardiovascular mortality in oral 1α-hydroxy vitamin D3 users in a haemodialysis population. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004;19:179-184.
- Laurent S, Cockcroft J, Van Bortel L, Boutouyrie P, Giannattasio C, Hayoz D, et al: Expert consensus document on arterial stiffness: methodological issues and clinical applications. Eur Heart J 2006;27:2588-2605.
- Ezzati M, Lopez AD, Rodgers A, Vander Hoorn S, Murray CJ; Comparative Risk Assessment Collaborating Group: Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of disease. Lancet 2002;360:1347-1360.
- Vlachopoulos C, Aznaouridis K, Stefanadis C: Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with arterial stiffness: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:1318-1327.
- Judd SE, Nanes MS, Ziegler TR, Wilson PW, Tangpricha V: Optimal vitamin D status attenuates the age-associated increase in systolic blood pressure in white Americans: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;87:136-141.
- Scragg R, Sowers M, Bell C: Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, ethnicity, and blood pressure in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Hypertens 2007;20:713-719.
- Zhao G, Ford ES, Li C, Kris-Etherton PM, Etherton TD, Balluz LS: Independent associations of serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone with blood pressure among US adults. J Hypertens 2010;28:1821-1828.
- Tomaino K, Romero KM, Robinson CL, Baumann LM, Hansel NN, Pollard SL, et al: Association between serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels and blood pressure among adolescents in two resource-limited settings in Peru. Am J Hypertens 2015;28:1017-1023.
- Lind L, Hanni A, Lithell H, Hvarfner A, Sorensen OH, Ljunghall S: Vitamin-D is related to blood-pressure and other cardiovascular risk-factors in middle-aged men. Am J Hypertens 1995;8:894-901.
- Park HY, Kim JH, Bae S, Choi YY, Park JY, Hong YC: Interaction effect of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and CYP1A1, CYP1B1 polymorphisms on blood pressure in an elderly population. J Hypertens 2015;33:69-76.
- Almirall J, Vaqueiro M, Bare ML, Anton E: Association of low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and high arterial blood pressure in the elderly. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010;25:503-509.
- Weinert LS, Reichelt AJ, Schmitt LR, Boff R, Oppermann ML, Camargo JL, Silveiro SP: Serum vitamin D insufficiency is related to blood pressure in diabetic pregnancy. Am J Hypertens 2014;27:1316-1320.
- Sowers MFR, Wallace RB, Hollis BW, Lemke JH: Relationship between 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin-D and blood-pressure in a geographically defined population. Am J Clin Nutr 1988;48:1053-1056.
- Mayer O, Filipovsky J, Seidlerova J, Vanek J, Dolejsova M, Vrzalova J, Cifkova R: The association between low 25-hydroxyvitamin D and increased aortic stiffness. J Hum Hypertens 2012;26:650-655.
- Seker T, Gur M, Kuloglu O, Kalkan GY, Sahin DY, Turkoglu C, et al: Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with both arterial and ventricular stiffness in healthy subjects. J Cardiol 2013;62:361-365.
- Giallauria F, Milaneschi Y, Tanaka T, Maggio M, Canepa M, Elango P, et al: Arterial stiffness and vitamin D levels: the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Clin Endocr Metab 2012;97:3717-3723.
- Rezai MR, Anderson SG, Sattar N, Finn J, Wu F, Cruickshank JK: Ethnic differences in aortic pulse wave velocity occur in the descending aorta independent of blood pressure and may be related to vitamin D. Hypertension 2011;25:632-633.
- Chang J, Ye XG, Hou YP, Wu JL, Li SL, Sun QM: Vitamin D level is associated with increased left ventricular mass and arterial stiffness in older patients with impaired renal function. Med Sci Monit 2015;21:3993-3999.
Kutlay S, Atli T, Aydogan I, Tutkak H, Nergizoglu G: The association of serum vitamin D levels with several cardiometabolic risk and aortic pulse wave velocity in elderly persons. Eur Geriatr Med 2014;5:238-241.
- van Dijk SC, Sohl E, Oudshoorn C, Enneman AW, Ham AC, Swart KM, et al: Non-linear associations between serum 25-OH vitamin D and indices of arterial stiffness and arteriosclerosis in an older population. Age Ageing 2015;44:136-142.
- Lee JI, Oh SJ, Ha WC, Kwon HS, Sohn TS, Son HS, Cha BY: Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration and arterial stiffness among type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2012;95:42-47.
- Jha P, Dolan LM, Khoury PR, Urbina EM, Kimball TR, Shah AS: Low serum vitamin D levels are associated with increased arterial stiffness in youth with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2015;38:1551-1557.
- Zagami RM, Di Pino A, Urbano F, Piro S, Purrello F, Rabuazzo AM: Low circulating vitamin D levels are associated with increased arterial stiffness in prediabetic subjects identified according to HbA1c. Atherosclerosis 2015;243:395-401.
- Andrade J, Er L, Ignaszewski A, Levin A: Exploration of association of 1,25-OH2D3 with augmentation index, a composite measure of arterial stiffness. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008;3:1800-1806.
- Bots ML, Hoes AW, Koudstaal PJ, Hofman A, Grobbee DE: Common carotid intima-media thickness and risk of stroke and myocardial infarction: the Rotterdam Study. Circulation 1997;96:1432-1437.
- Reis JP, von Muhlen D, Michos ED, Miller ER 3rd, Appel LJ, Araneta MR, Barrett-Connor E: Serum vitamin D, parathyroid hormone levels, and carotid atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2009;207:585-590.
- Hao Y, Ma X, Luo Y, Xu Y, Xiong Q, Zhu J, et al: Inverse association of serum vitamin D in relation to carotid intima-media thickness in Chinese postmenopausal women. PLoS One 2015;10:e0122803.
- van de Luijtgaarden KM, Voute MT, Hoeks SE, Bakker EJ, Chonchol M, Stolker RJ, et al: Vitamin D deficiency may be an independent risk factor for arterial disease. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2012;44:301-306.
- Yiu YF, Chan YH, Yiu KH, Siu CW, Li SW, Wong LY, et al: Vitamin D deficiency is associated with depletion of circulating endothelial progenitor cells and endothelial dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocr Metab 2011;96:E830-E835.
- London GM, Guerin AP, Verbeke FH, Pannier B, Boutouyrie P, Marchais SJ, Metivier F: Mineral metabolism and arterial functions in end-stage renal disease: potential role of 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency. J Am Soc Nephrol 2007;18:613-620.
- Chitalia N, Recio-Mayoral A, Kaski JC, Banerjee D: Vitamin D deficiency and endothelial dysfunction in non-dialysis chronic kidney disease patients. Atherosclerosis 2012;220:265-268.
- Hsia J, Heiss G, Ren H, Allison M, Dolan NC, Greenland P, et al: Calcium/vitamin D supplementation and cardiovascular events. Circulation 2007;115:846-854.
- Wallis DE, Penckofer S: Letter by Wallis and Penckofer regarding article, “Calcium/vitamin D supplementation and cardiovascular events.” Circulation 2007;116:e86; author reply e87.
- Zittermann A, Schleithoff SS, Koerfer R: Letter by Zitterman et al regarding article, “Calcium/vitamin D supplementation and cardiovascular events.” Circulation 2007;116:e85; author reply e87.
- Lind L, Wengle B, Ljunghall S: Blood-pressure is lowered by vitamin-D (alphacalcidol) during long-term treatment of patients with intermittent hypercalcemia - a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Acta Med Scand 1987;222:423-427.
- Lind L, Lithell H, Skarfors E, Wide L, Ljunghall S: Reduction of blood pressure by treatment with alphacalcidol. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. Acta Med Scand 1988;223:211-217.
- Lind L, Wengle B, Wide L, Sorensen OH, Ljunghall S: Hypertension in primary hyperparathyroidism - reduction of blood pressure by long-term treatment with vitamin D (alphacalcidol). A double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Hypertens 1988;1:397-402.
- Sugden JA, Davies JI, Witham MD, Morris AD, Struthers AD: Vitamin D improves endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and low vitamin D levels. Diabet Med 2008;25:320-325.
- Witham MD, Dove FJ, Dryburgh M, Sugden JA, Morris AD, Struthers AD: The effect of different doses of vitamin D(3) on markers of vascular health in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia 2010;53:2112-2119.
- Nasri H, Behradmanesh S, Ahmadi A, Rafieian-Kopaei M: Impact of oral vitamin D (cholecalciferol) replacement therapy on blood pressure in type 2 diabetes patients; a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled clinical trial. J Nephropathol 2014;3:29-33.
- Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Loloei S, Mirjalili MR, Barzegar K: The effect of vitamin D supplementation on blood pressure in patients with elevated blood pressure and vitamin D deficiency: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Blood Press Monit 2015;20:83-91.
- Pfeifer M, Begerow B, Minne HW, Nachtigall D, Hansen C: Effects of a short-term vitamin D(3) and calcium supplementation on blood pressure and parathyroid hormone levels in elderly women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86:1633-1637.
- Gepner AD, Ramamurthy R, Krueger DC, Korcarz CE, Binkley N, Stein JH: A prospective randomized controlled trial of the effects of vitamin D supplementation on cardiovascular disease risk. PLoS One 2012;7:e36617.
- Gepner AD, Haller IV, Krueger DC, Korcarz CE, Binkley N, Stein JH: A randomized controlled trial of the effects of vitamin D supplementation on arterial stiffness and aortic blood pressure in Native American women. Atherosclerosis 2015;240:526-528.
- Dalan R, Liew H, Assam PN, Chan ES, Siddiqui FJ, Tan AW, et al: A randomised controlled trial evaluating the impact of targeted vitamin D supplementation on endothelial function in type 2 diabetes mellitus: the DIMENSION trial. Diab Vasc Dis Res 2016;13:192-200.
- Ryu OH, Chung W, Lee S, Hong KS, Choi MG, Yoo HJ: The effect of high-dose vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance and arterial stiffness in patients with type 2 diabetes. Korean J Intern Med 2014;29:620-629.
- Yiu YF, Yiu KH, Siu CW, Chan YH, Li SW, Wong LY, et al: Randomized controlled trial of vitamin D supplement on endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes. Atherosclerosis 2013;227:140-146.
- Breslavsky A, Frand J, Matas Z, Boaz M, Barnea Z, Shargorodsky M: Effect of high doses of vitamin D on arterial properties, adiponectin, leptin and glucose homeostasis in type 2 diabetic patients. Clin Nutr 2013;32:970-975.
- Scragg R, Khaw KT, Murphy S: Effect of winter oral vitamin D3 supplementation on cardiovascular risk factors in elderly adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 1995;49:640-646.
- Scragg R, Slow S, Stewart AW, Jennings LC, Chambers ST, Priest PC, et al: Long-term high-dose vitamin D3 supplementation and blood pressure in healthy adults: a randomized controlled trial. Hypertension 2014;64:725-730.
- Witham MD, Dove FJ, Sugden JA, Doney AS, Struthers AD: The effect of vitamin D replacement on markers of vascular health in stroke patients - a randomised controlled trial. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2012;22:864-870.
- Dreyer G, Tucker AT, Harwood SM, Pearse RM, Raftery MJ, Yaqoob MM: Ergocalciferol and microcirculatory function in chronic kidney disease and concomitant vitamin D deficiency: an exploratory, double blind, randomised controlled trial. PLoS One 2014;9:e99461.
- Marckmann P, Agerskov H, Thineshkumar S, Bladbjerg EM, Sidelmann JJ, Jespersen J, et al: Randomized controlled trial of cholecalciferol supplementation in chronic kidney disease patients with hypovitaminosis D. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2012;27:3523-3531.
- Stricker H, Bianda FT, Guidicelli-Nicolosi S, Limoni C, Colucci G: Effect of a single, oral, high-dose vitamin D supplementation on endothelial function in patients with peripheral arterial disease: a randomised controlled pilot study. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2012;44:307-312.
- Witham MD, Dove FJ, Khan F, Lang CC, Belch JJ, Struthers AD: Effects of vitamin D supplementation on markers of vascular function after myocardial infarction - a randomised controlled trial. Int J Cardiol 2013;167:745-749.
- Dong Y, Stallmann-Jorgensen IS, Pollock NK, Harris RA, Keeton D, Huang Y, et al: A 16-week randomized clinical trial of 2,000 international units daily vitamin D3 supplementation in black youth: 25-hydroxyvitamin D, adiposity, and arterial stiffness. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010;95:4584-4591.
- Martins DM, Meng YX, Tareen N, Artaza J, Lee JE, Farodolu C, Gibbons G, Norris K: The effect of short term vitamin D supplementation on the inflammatory and oxidative mediators of arterial stiffness. Health (Irvine Calif) 2014;6:1503-1511.
- Jorde R, Sneve M, Torjesen P, Figenschau Y: No improvement in cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese subjects after supplementation with vitamin D3 for 1 year. J Intern Med 2010;267:462-472.
- Veloudi P, Blizzard CL, Ding CH, Cicuttini FM, Jin X, Wluka AE, et al: Effect of vitamin D supplementation on aortic stiffness and arterial hemodynamics in people with osteoarthritis and vitamin D deficiency. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015;66:2679-2681.
- Daly RM, Nowson CA: Long-term effect of calcium-vitamin D(3) fortified milk on blood pressure and serum lipid concentrations in healthy older men. Eur J Clin Nutr 2009;63:993-1000.
- Forman JP, Scott JB, Ng K, Drake BF, Suarez EG, Hayden DL, et al: Effect of vitamin D supplementation on blood pressure in blacks. Hypertension 2013;61:779-785.
- Kollias A, Lagou S, Zeniodi ME, Boubouchairopoulou N, Stergiou GS: Association of central versus brachial blood pressure with target-organ damage: systematic review and meta-analysis. Hypertension 2016;67:183-190.
- Beveridge LA, Struthers AD, Khan F, Jorde R, Scragg R, Macdonald HM, et al: Effect of vitamin D supplementation on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis incorporating individual patient data. JAMA Intern Med 2015;175:745-754.
- Sharman J, Stowasser M, Fassett R, Marwick T, Franklin S: Central blood pressure measurement may improve risk stratification. J Hum Hypertens 2008;22:838-844.
- Larsen T, Mose FH, Bech JN, Hansen AB, Pedersen EB: Effect of cholecalciferol supplementation during winter months in patients with hypertension: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Hypertens 2012;25:1215-1222.
- McGreevy C, Barry M, Davenport C, Byrne B, Donaghy C, Collier G, et al: The effect of vitamin D supplementation on arterial stiffness in an elderly community-based population. J Am Soc Hypertens 2015;9:176-183.
- Zaleski A, Panza G, Swales H, Arora P, Newton-Cheh C, Wang T, et al: High-dose versus low-dose vitamin D supplementation and arterial stiffness among individuals with prehypertension and vitamin D deficiency. Dis Markers 2015;2015:918968.
- Braam LA, Hoeks AP, Brouns F, Hamulyak K, Gerichhausen MJ, Vermeer C, Beneficial effects of vitamins D and K on the elastic properties of the vessel wall in postmenopausal women: a follow-up study. Thromb Haemost 2004;91:373-380.
- Harris RA, Pedersen-White J, Guo DH, Stallmann-Jorgensen IS, Keeton D, Huang Y, et al: Vitamin D3 supplementation for 16 weeks improves flow-mediated dilation in overweight African-American adults. Am J Hypertens 2011;24:557-562.
- Sokol SI, Srinivas V, Crandall JP, Kim M, Tellides G, Lebastchi AH, et al: The effects of vitamin D repletion on endothelial function and inflammation in patients with coronary artery disease. Vasc Med 2012;17:394-404.
- Longenecker CT, Hileman CO, Carman TL, Ross AC, Seydafkan S, Brown TT, et al: Vitamin D supplementation and endothelial function in vitamin D deficient HIV-infected patients: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Antivir Ther 2012;17:613-621.
- Thethi TK, Bajwa MA, Ghanim H, Jo C, Weir M, Goldfine AB, et al: Effect of paricalcitol on endothelial function and inflammation in type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease. J Diabetes Complications 2015;29:433-437.
- Holland DJ, Sacre JW, McFarlane SJ, Coombes JS, Sharman JE: Pulse wave analysis is a reproducible technique for measuring central blood pressure during hemodynamic perturbations induced by exercise. Am J Hypertens 2008;21:1100-1106.
- Pilz S, Gaksch M, Kienreich K, Grubler M, Verheyen N, Fahrleitner-Pammer A, et al: Effects of vitamin D on blood pressure and cardiovascular risk factors: a randomized controlled trial. Hypertension 2015;65:1195-1201.
- Margolis KL, Ray RM, Van Horn L, Manson JE, Allison MA, Black HR, et al: Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on blood pressure: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Trial. Hypertension 2008;52:847-855.
- Arora P, Song Y, Dusek J, Plotnikoff G, Sabatine MS, Cheng S, et al: Vitamin D therapy in individuals with prehypertension or hypertension: the DAYLIGHT trial. Circulation 2015;131:254-262.
- Witham MD, Price RJG, Struthers AD, Donnan PT, Messow M, McConnachie A, et al: Effect of vitamin D supplementation on orthostatic hypotension: data from the Vitamin D in Isolated Systolic Hypertension randomized controlled trial. J Hypertens 2014;32:1693-1699.
- Witham MD, Price RJG, Struthers AD, Donnan PT, Messow CM, Ford I, McMurdo MET: Cholecalciferol treatment to reduce blood pressure in older patients with isolated systolic hypertension: the VitDISH randomized controlled trial. JAMA Intern Med 2013;173:1672-1679.
- Zittermann A, Frisch S, Berthold HK, Gotting C, Kuhn J, Kleesiek K, et al: Vitamin D supplementation enhances the beneficial effects of weight loss on cardiovascular disease risk markers. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89:1321-1327.
- Orwoll ES, Oviatt S: Relationship of mineral metabolism and long-term calcium and cholecalciferol supplementation to blood pressure in normotesnive men. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;52:712-721.
- Heaney RP: Guidelines for optimizing design and analysis of clinical studies of nutrient effects. Nutr Rev 2014;72:48-54.
- Kennel KA, Drake MT, Hurley DL: Vitamin D deficiency in adults: when to test and how to treat. Mayo Clin Proc 2010;85:752-757; quiz 757-758.
- Houghton LA, Vieth R: The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:694-697.
- Chao YS, Brunel L, Faris P, Veugelers PJ: The importance of dose, frequency and duration of vitamin D supplementation for plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Nutrients 2013;5:4067-4078.
- Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Gordon CM, Hanley DA, Heaney RP, et al: Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011;96:1911-1930.
- Miettinen ME, Kinnunen L, Leiviska J, Keinanen-Kiukaanniemi S, Korpi-Hyovalti E, Niskanen L, et al: Association of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D with lifestyle factors and metabolic and cardiovascular disease markers: population-based cross-sectional study (FIN-D2D). PLoS One 2014;9:e100235.
- Mai XM, Chen Y, Camargo CA Jr, Langhammer A: Cross-sectional and prospective cohort study of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and obesity in adults: the HUNT study. Am J Epidemiol 2012;175:1029-1036.
- Yoshimura N, Muraki S, Oka H, Tanaka S, Kawaguchi H, Nakamura K, Akune T: Accumulation of metabolic risk factors such as overweight, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, and impaired glucose tolerance raises the risk of occurrence and progression of knee osteoarthritis: a 3-year follow-up of the ROAD study. Osteoarthr Cartilage 2012;20:1217-1226.
- Witham MD, Nadir MA, Struthers AD: Effect of vitamin D on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hypertens 2009;27:1948-1954.
- Pittas AG, Chung M, Trikalinos T, Mitri J, Brendel M, Patel K, et al: Systematic review: vitamin D and cardiometabolic outcomes. An Intern Med 2010;152:307-314.
- Kunutsor SK, Burgess S, Munroe PB, Khan H: Vitamin D and high blood pressure: causal association or epiphenomenon? Eur J Epidemiol 2014;29:1-14.
- Wu SH, Ho SC, Zhong L: Effects of vitamin D supplementation on blood pressure. South Med J 2010;103:729-737.
- Lee KJ, Lee YJ: Effects of vitamin D on blood pressure in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 2016;54:233-242.
- Hussin AM, Ashor AW, Schoenmakers I, Hill T, Mathers JC, Siervo M: Effects of vitamin D supplementation on endothelial function: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. Eur J Nutr 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Upala S, Sanguankeo A, Congrete S, Jaruvongvanich V: Effect of cholecalciferol supplementation on arterial stiffness: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Scand Cardiovasc J 2016;50:230-235.
- Rodriguez AJ, Scott D, Srikanth V, Ebeling P: Effect of vitamin D supplementation on measures of arterial stiffness: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Clin Endocrinol 2016;84:645-657.
- Manson JE, Bassuk SS: Vitamin D research and clinical practice: at a crossroads. JAMA 2015;313:1311-1132.
- Witham MD, Ireland S, Houston JG, Gandy SJ, Waugh S, MacDonald TM, et al: Vitamin D therapy to reduce blood pressure and left ventricular hypertrophy in resistant hypertension: randomized, controlled trial. Hypertension 2014;63:706-712.
- Pan WH, Wang CY, Li LA, Kao LS, Yeh SH: No significant effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on blood pressure and calcium metabolism in elderly Chinese. Chin J Physiol 1993;36:85-94.
- Lind L, Wengle B, Wide L, Ljunghall S: Reduction of blood pressure during long-term treatment with active vitamin D (alphacalcidol) is dependent on plasma renin activity and calcium status. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Hypertens 1989;2:20-25.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.