Stability and Interpersonal Agreement of the Interview-Based Diagnosis of AutismHill A.a · Bölte S.b · Petrova G.a · Beltcheva D.a · Tacheva S.a · Poustka F.b
aDepartment of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Sofia, Bulgaria; bDepartment of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Frankfurt a. M., Germany
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Interpersonal agreement and stability of the Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R) was examined in this study. Four raters judging 55 subjects agreed moderately to excellently on the items of the diagnostic algorithm, operationalizing the main autistic symptoms according to the classification guidelines of ICD-10 and DSM-IV. When retesting 33 individuals, some items revealed only weak stability. On the level of domains of autistic behavior and diagnosis, the interrater reliability and retest reliability were consistently convincing.
© 2001 S. Karger AG, Basel
Kanner L: Autistic disturbances of affective contact. Nerv Child 1943;2:217–250.
Asperger H: Die autistischen Psychopathen im Kindesalter. Arch Psychiatr Nervenkr 1944;117:76–136.
Rutter M, Schopler E: Autism and pervasive developmental disorders; in Rutter M, Tuma AH, Lann IS (eds): Assessment and Diagnosis in Child Psychopathology. New York, Guilford, 1988, pp 408–434.
- Volkmar FR, Klein A, Siegel B, Szatmari P, Lord C, Campbell M, Freeman BJ, Cicchetti DV, Rutter M, Kline W, Buitelaar J, Hattab Y, Fombonne E, Fuentes J, Werry J, Stone W, Kerbeshian J, Hoshino Y, Bregman J, Loveland K, Szymanski L, Towbin K: DSM-IV autism/pervasive developmental disorder field trial. Am J Psychiatry 1994;151:1361–1367.
Gillberg C, Nordin V, Ehlers S: Early detection of autism. Diagnostic instruments for clinicians. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1996;5:67–74.
Le Couteur A, Rutter M, Lord C, Rios P, Robertson S, Holdgrafer M, McLennan J: Autism Diagnostic Interview: A standardized investigator-based instrument. J Autism Dev Disord 1989;19:363–387.
- Lord C, Rutter M, Le Couteur A: Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders. J Autism Dev Disord 1994;24:659–685.
- Tanguay PE, Robertson J, Derrick A: A dimensional classification of autism spectrum disorders by social communication domains. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1998;37:271–277.
- Yirmiya N, Sigman M, Freeman BJ: Comparison between diagnostic instruments for identifying high-functioning children with autism. J Autism Dev Disord 1994;24:281–291.
- Lord C, Pickles A, Mc Lennan J, Rutter M, Bregman J, Folstein S, Fombonne E, Leboyer M, Minshew N: Diagnosing autism: Analysis of data from the Autism Diagnostic Interview. J Autism Dev Disord 1997;27:501–517.
- Poustka F, Lisch S, Rühl D, Schmötzer G, Werner K: The standardized diagnosis of autism: Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: Inter-rater reliability of the German form of the interview. Psychopathology 1996;29:145–153.
- Fombonne E: Diagnostic assessment in a sample of autistic and developmentally impaired adolescents. J Autism Dev Disord 1992;22:563–581.
- Pilowsky T, Yirmiya N, Shulman C, Dover R: The Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised and the Childhood Autism Rating Scale: Differences between diagnostic systems and comparison between genders. J Autism Dev Disord 1998;28:143–151.
Howlin P, Goode S: Outcome in adult life for people with autism and Asperger’s syndrome; in Volkmar F (ed): Autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1998, pp 209–241.
- Maughan B, Rutter M: Retrospective reporting of childhood adversity: Issues in assessing long-term recall. J Pers Disord 1997;11:19–33.
- Angold A, Erkanli A, Costello EJ, Rutter M: Precision, reliability and accuracy in the dating of symptom onsets in child and adolescent psychopathology. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1996;37:657–664.
Bölte S, Poustka F: Diagnosis of autism: The connection between current and historical information. Autism, in press.
Conger AJ: Integration and generalization of kappas for multiple raters. Psychol Bull 1980;88:322–328.
Fleiss JL: Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions. New York, Wiley, 1981.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.