Radiotherapy for PSA Recurrence after Radical ProstatectomyVanuytsel L.a · Janssens G.a · van Poppel H.b · Rijnders A.a · Baert L.b
Departments of aRadiotherapy and bUrology, University Hospitals, Leuven, Belgium
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Objectives: The treatment of patients presenting with an isolated PSA recurrence after radical prostatectomy (RP) remains controversial. The present study aims at assessing the results of salvage radiotherapy (RT), to define prognostic factors and to identify subgroups of patients most suitable for RT with curative intent. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study was performed of 53 patients, diagnosed with a rising PSA after RP, and treated with RT to the prostate bed, between July 1992 and July 1998. Results: On univariate analysis, significant determinants to obtain and maintain a nondetectable PSA (<0.02 ng/ml) were Gleason grade (≤III vs. ≧IV), pre–RT PSA, considered as categorical or continuous variable, and pathological stage, pT (2 vs. 3). Pre–RP PSA (≤10 vs. >10), time interval between surgery and moment of rising PSA and pathological section margin status were not significant. On multivariate analysis, only Gleason grade and pre–RT PSA remained significant. For the patient group with a Gleason grade ≤III the PSA–free survival at 3 years was 75% (±11%) compared to 27% (±9%) for the patients with a Gleason grade ≧IV (p = 0.002). Pre–RT PSA significantly influenced PSA–free survival in the first group, but not in the latter. Conclusion: From the group of RP patients with rising PSA following a postsurgery PSA–free period, subgroups can be defined with a distinctly different probability of obtaining and maintaining nondetectable PSA levels after salvage RT.
- Pound CR, Partin AW, Eisenberger MA, Chan DW, Pearson JD, Walsh PC: Natural history of progression after PSA elevation following radical prostatectomy. JAMA 1999;281:1591– 1597.
- Cadeddu JA, Partin AW, DeWeese TL, Walsh PC: Long–term results of radiation therapy for prostate cancer recurrence following radical prostatectomy. J Urol 1998;159:173–178.
- Haab F, Meulemans A, Boccon–Gibod L, Dauge MC, Delmas V, Hennequin C, Benbuban D, Boccon–Gibod L: Effect of radiation therapy after radical prostatectomy on serum prostate–specific antigen measured by an ultrasensitive assay. Urology 1995;45:1022–1027.
- Morris MM, Dallow KC, Zietman AL, Park J, Althausen A, Heney NM, Shipley WU: Adjuvant and salvage irradiation following radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;38:731–763.
Vanuytsel L, Van Poppel H: Adjuvant radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy; in Greco C, Zelefsky M (eds): Radiotherapy of Prostate Cancer. London, Harwood, 1999, pp 377–384.
- Anscher MS, Prosnitz LR: Multivariate analyses of factors predicting local relapse after radical prostatectomy – Possible indications for postoperative radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1991;21:941–947.
- Cheng WS, Frydenberg M, Bergstralh EJ: Radical prostatectomy for pathological stage C prostate cancer: Influence of pathological variables and adjuvant treatment on disease outcome. Urology 1993;42:283–291.
- D’Amico AV, Whittington R, Malkowicz B, Loughlin K, Schultz D, Schnall M, Tempany CM, Tomaszewski JE, Renshaw A, Wein A: An analysis of the time course of postoperative prostate–specific antigen failure in patients with positive surgical margins: Implications on the use of adjuvant therapy. Urology 1996;47: 538–547.
Epstein JI, Pizov G, Walsh PC: Correlation of pathological findings with progression after radical prostatectomy. Urology 1993;71:3528– 3593.
- Kupelian PA, Katcher J, Levin HS: Stage T1–2 prostate cancer: A multivariate analyses of factors affecting biochemical and clinical failures after radical prostatectomy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;37:1043–1052.
- Partin AW, Pearson JD, Landis PK, Carter HB, Pound CR, Clemens JQ, Epstein JI, Walsh PC: Evaluation of serum prostate–specific antigen velocity after radical prostatectomy to distinguish local recurrence from distant metastases. Urology 1994;43:649–659.
Coursey JW, Thompson IM, Higgins B, Toney MAO, Optenberg S: Time to PSA failure following radical prostatectomy does not correlate with site of recurrence as evident by staging prostascint examination. J Urol 1999;161: 300.
- Kahn D, Williams RD, Haseman MK, Reed NL, Miller SJ, Gerstbrein J: Radioimmunoscintigraphy with In–111–labeled capromab pendetide predicts prostate cancer response to salvage radiotherapy after failed radical prostatectomy. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:284–289.
- Pisansky TM, Kozelsky TF, Myers RP, Hillman DW, Blute ML, Buskirk SJ, Cheville JC, Ferrigni RG, Schild SE: Radiotherapy for isolated serum prostate–specific antigen elevation after prostatectomy for prostate cancer. J Urol 2000;163:845–850.
- Schild SE, Buskirk J, Wong WW, Halyard MY, Swanson SK, Novicki DE, Ferrigni RG: The use of radiotherapy for patients with isolated elevation of serum prostate–specific antigen following radical prostatectomy. J Urol 1996;156:1725–1729.
- Crane CH, Rich TA, Read PW, Sanfilippo NJ, Gillenwater JY, Kelly MD: Preirradiation PSA predicts biochemical disease–free survival in patients treated with postprostatectomy external beam irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;39:681–686.
- Garg MK, Tekyi–Mensah S, Bolton S, Velasco J, Pontes E, Wood DP, Porter AT Jr, Forman JD: Impact of postprostatectomy prostate– specific antigen nadir on outcomes following salvage radiotherapy. Urology 1998;51:998– 1002.
- Wu JJ, King SC, Montana GS, McKinstry CA, Anscher MS: The efficacy of postprostatectomy radiotherapy in patients with an isolated elevation of serum prostate–specific antigen. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995;32:317–323.
- Zelefsky MJ, Aschkenasy E, Kelsen S, Leibel SA: Tolerance and early outcome results of postprostatectomy three–dimensional conformal radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;39:327–333.
- Do T, Parker RG, Do C, Tran L, Do L, Dolkar D: Salvage radiotherapy for biochemical and clinical failures following radical prostatectomy. Cancer J Sci Am 1998;4:324–330.
Van Poppel H, Vanuytsel L, Petrovich Z, Baert L: Is postoperative irradiation after radical prostatectomy necessary? Eur J Cancer 1999; 35:1763–1766.
- Leibovich BC, Engen DE, Patterson DE, Pisansky TM, Alexander EE, Blute ML, Bergstrahl EJ, Zincke H: Benefit of adjuvant radiation therapy for localized prostate cancer with a positive surgical margin. J Urol 2000; 163:1178–1182.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.