On the Validity of the Beck Depression Inventory
Richter P.a · Werner J.b · Heerlein A.c · Kraus A.a · Sauer H.d
a Department of Psychiatry and b Institute of Psychology, University of Heidelberg, Germany; c Department of Psychiatry, University of Santiago de Chile, Chile; d Department of Psychiatry, University of Jena, Germany
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
The present review discusses validity aspects of the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) on the basis of meta-analyses of studies on the psychometric properties. Shortcomings of the BDI are its high item difficulty, lack of representative norms, and thus doubtful objectivity of interpretation, controversial factorial validity, instability of scores over short time intervals (over the course of 1 day), and poor discriminant validity against anxiety. Advantages of the inventory are its high internal consistency, high content validity, validity in differentiating between depressed and nondepressed subjects, sensitivity to change, and international propagation. The present paper outlines agreements and contradictions between the various studies on the BDI and discusses the potential factors (composition of the subject sample, statistical procedures, point in time of measurement) accounting for the variance in their results.
- Hautzinger M: Das Beck-Depressions-Inventar (BDI) in der Klinik. Nervenarzt 1991;62:689–696.
Hautzinger M, Bailer M, Worall H, Keller F: Beck-Depressions-Inventar (BDI). Testhandbuch der deutschen Ausgabe. Bern, Huber, 1995.
Richter P: Zur Konstruktvalidität des Beck-Depressionsinventars bei der Erfassung depressiver Verläufe. Ein empirischer und methodologischer Beitrag. Regensburg, Roderer-Verlag, 1991.
- Beck AT, Steer RA, Garbin MG: Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation. Clin Psychol Rev 1988;8:77–100.
Beck AT: Depression: Causes and Treatment. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1970.
Richter P, Werner J, Bastine R: Psychometrische Eigenschaften des Beck-Depressionsinventars (BDI): Ein Überblick. Z Klin Psychol 1994;23:3–19.
Moran PW, Lambert MJ: A review of current assessment tools for monitoring changes in depression; in Lambert MS, Christensen ER, DeJulio SS (eds): The Assessment of Psychotherapy Outcome. New York, Wiley, 1983, pp 263–303.
- Welch G, Hall A, Walkey F: The replicable dimensions of the Beck Depression Inventory. J Clin Psychol 1990;46:817–827.
- Prusoff BA, Klerman G, Paykel E: Concordance between clinical assessment and patient self-report in depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1972;26:546–552.
Zerssen Dv, Strian F, Schwarz D: Evaluation of depressive states, especially in longitudinal studies; in Pichot P (ed): Psychological Measurement in Psychopharmacology. Mod Probl Pharmacopsychiatry. Basel, Karger, 1974, vol 7, pp 170–189.
- Richter P, Werner J, Bastine R, Heerlein A, Kick H, Sauer H: Measuring treatment outcome by the Beck Depression Inventory. Psychopathology 1997;30:234–240.
- Coyne JC: Self-reported distress: Analog or ersatz depression? Psychol Bull 1994;116:29–45.
Mendels J, Secunda SK, Dyson WL: A controlled study of the antidepressant effects of lithium carbonate. J Clin Psychol 1972;26:154–157.
- Schnurr R, Hoaken PC, Jarrett FJ: Comparison of depression inventories in a clinical population. Can Psychiatr Assoc J 1976;21:473–476.
- Blatt SJ, Quinlan DM, Chevron ES, McDonald C, Zuroff D: Dependency and self-criticism: Psychological dimensions of depression. J Consult Clin Psychol 1982;50:113–124.
- Harrell TH, Ryon NB: Cognitive behavioral assessment of depression: Clinical validation of the Automatic Thoughts Questionnaire. J Consult Clin Psychol 1983;51:721–725.
- Hesselbrock MM, Hesselbrock VM, Tenmen H, Meyer RE, Workman KL: Methodological considerations in the assessment of depression in alcoholics. J Consult Clin Psychol 1983;51:399–405.
Ross SM, Gottfredson DK, Christensen P, Weaver R: Cognitive self-statements in depression: Findings across clinical populations. Cogn Ther Res 1986;2:159–166.
- Seitz FC: Five psychological measures of neurotic depression: A correlation study. J Clin Psychol 1970;26:504–505.
- Reynolds WM, Gould JW: A psychometric investigation of the standard and short form of the Beck Depression Inventory. J Consult Clin Psychol 1981;49:306–307.
- Bloom PM, Brady JP: An ipsative validation of the Multiple Affect Adjective Check List. J Clin Psychol 1968;24:45–46.
- Rounsville BJ, Weissman MM, Rosenberger PH, Wilber CH, Kleber HD: Detecting depressive disorders in drug abusers. J Affect Disord 1979;1:255–267.
- Scott NA, Hannum TE, Christ SL: Assessment of depression: An examination of Beck’s premise. J Pers Assess 1982;46:372–379.
Kammer D: Eine deutsche Untersuchung der psychometrischen Eigenschaften des deutschen Beck-Depressionsinventars (BDI). Diagnostica 1983;39:48–60.
- Scogin FR, Merbaum M: Humorous stimuli and depression: An examination of Beck’s premise. J Clin Psychol 1983;39:165–169.
- Campbell MM, Burgess PM, Finch SJ: A factorial analysis of BDI scores. J Clin Psychol 1984;40:992–996.
- Turner JA, Romano JM: Self-report screnning measures for depression in chronic pain patients. J Clin Psychol 1984;40:909–913.
- Marsella AJ, Sanborn KO, Kameoka V, Shiguru L, Brennan J: Cross-validation of self-report measures of depression among normal populations of Japanese, Chinese, and Caucasian ancestry. J Clin Psychol 1975;31:281–287.
- Giambra LM: Independent dimension of depression: A factor analysis of three self-report depression measures. J Clin Psychol 1977;33:928–935.
Clarke M, Williams AJ: Depression in women after perinatal death. Lancet 1979;i:916–917.
- Hatzenbuehler LC, Parpal M, Mathews L: Classifying college students as depressed or nondepressed using the Beck Depression Inventory: An empirical analysis. J Consult Clin Psychol 1983;51:360–366.
- Tanaka-Matsumi J, Kameoka VA: Reliabilities and concurrent validities of popular self-report measures of depression, anxiety, and social desirability. J Consult Clin Psychol 1986;54:328–333.
- Schaefer A, Brown J, Watson CG, Plemel D, DeMotts J, Howard MT, Petrik N, Balleweg BJ, Anderson D: Comparison of the validities of the Beck, Zung, and MMPI depression scales. J Consult Clin Psychol 1985;53:415–418.
Zimmerman M, Coryell W, Corenthal C, Wilson S: A self-report scale to diagnose Major Depressive Disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1986;12:63–70.
- Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J: An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1961;4:561–571.
Metcalfe M, Goldman E: Validation of an inventory for measuring depression. Br J Psychiatry 1965;111:240–242.
Fahy T: Some problems in the assessment of current mental status of depressed patients; in Hippius H, Selbach H (eds): Das depressive Syndrom. München, Urban & Schwarzenberg, 1969, pp 305–317.
- May AE, Urquhart A, Tarran J: Self-evaluation of depression in various diagnostic and therapeutic groups. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1969;21:191–194.
Pichot P: Überlegungen zur Faktorenstruktur des depressiven Syndroms; in Hippius H, Selbach H (eds): Das depressive Syndrom. München, Urban & Schwarzenberg, 1969, pp 269–279.
Lukesch H: Testkriterien des Depressionsinventars von A.T. Beck. Psychol Prax 1974;18:60–78.
- Strober M, Green J, Carlson G: Utility of the Beck Depression Inventory with psychiatrically hospitalized adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol 1981;49:482–483.
Feinberg M, Carroll BJ: The Carroll rating scale for depression; in Satorius N, Ban TA (eds): Assessment of Depression. Berlin, Springer, 1986, pp 188–201.
- Davies B, Burrows G, Poyton C: A comparative study of four depression rating scales. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 1975;9:21–24.
- Bailey J, Coppen A: A comparison between the Hamilton Rating Scale and the Beck Inventory in the measurement of depression. Br J Psychiatry 1976;128:486–489.
- Steer RA, McElroy MG, Beck AT: Correlates of self reported and clinically assessed depression in outpatient alcoholics. J Clin Psychol 1983;39:144–149.
- Steer RA, Beck AT, Brown G, Berchick R: Self-reported depressive symptoms differentiating recurrent-episode major-depression from dysthymic disorders. J Clin Psychol 1987;43:246–250.
- Salkind MR: Beck Depression Inventory in general practice. J R Coll Gen Pract 1969;18:267–271.
- Coleman RE, Miller AG: The relationship between depression and marital maladjustment in a clinic population: A multitrait-multimethod study. J Consult Clin Psychol 1975;43:647–651.
- Bumberry W, Oliver JM, McClure JN: Validation of the Beck Depression Inventory in a university population using psychiatric estimate as the criterion. J Consult Clin Psychol 1978;46:150–155.
- Schwab JJ, Bialow M, Brown JM, Holzer CE: Diagnosing depression in medical inpatients. Ann Intern Med 1967;67:695–707.
Beck AT, Beamsderfer A: Assessment of depression. The depression inventory; in Pichot P (ed): Psychological Measurement in Psychopharmacology. Basel, Karger, 1974, vol 7, pp 151–169.
- Carroll BJ, Fielding JM, Blashki TG: Depression rating scales: A critical review. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1973;28:361–366.
- Burrows GD, Foenander G, Davies B, Scoggins BA: Rating scales as predictors of response to tricyclic antidepressants. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 1976;10:53–66.
Baker LL, Jessup BA: The psychophysiology of affective verbal and visual information processing in depression. Cogn Ther Res 1980;4:135–148.
- Meites K, Lovallo W, Pishkin V: A comparison of four scales for anxiety, depression, and neuroticism. J Clin Psychol 1980;36:427–432.
Rholes WS, Riskind JH, Neville B: The relationship of cognitions and hopelessness to depression and anxiety. Social Cognition 1985;3:36–50.
- Gotlib IH, Robinson LA: Responses to depressed individuals: Discrepancies between self-report and observer-rated behavior. J Abnorm Psychol 1982;91:231–240.
- Gotlib IH: Depression and general psychopathology in university students. J Abnorm Psychol 1984;93:19–39.
- Blackburn IM, Smyth P: A test of cognitive vulnerability in individuals prone to depression. Br J Clin Psychol 1985;24:61–62.
- Nezu AM, Kalmar K, Ronan GF, Clavijo A: Attributional correlates of depression: An interactional model including problem solving. J Abnorm Psychol 1986;95:184–186.
Richter P, Scheurer H, Kröber H-L: Zur Messung von Depression bei Straftätern. Z Klin Psychol Psychopathol Psychother 1991;4:382–388.
Kaloupek DG, Peterson DA, Levis DJ: An investigation of the normative and factor analytic composition of six questionnaires used for subject selections. J Behav Assess 1981;3:149–165.
Hautzinger M, Luka U, Trautman RD: Skala dysfunktionaler Einstellungen. Eine deutsche Version der Dysfunctional Attitude Scale. Diagnostica 1985;27:312–323.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.