The Five Symptom Dimensions and Depression in SchizophreniaLee K.-H.a,c · Harris A.W.b,d · Loughland C.M.a,c · Williams L.M.a,c
aCognitive Neuroscience Unit, The Brain Dynamics Centre, bThe Brain Dynamics Centre, Westmead Hospital, cSchool of Psychology and dDepartment of Psychological Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, N.S.W., Australia
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between the five-factor model of psychopathology and depression in schizophrenia. Symptoms were rated using the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) and the Montgomery and Åsberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) in 105 chronic patients with schizophrenia. Principal-component analysis (PCA) produced a five-factor solution for the PANSS (psychomotor poverty, disorganisation, reality distortion, excitement, and depression), and a two-factor solution for the MADRS (psychological and behavioural depression). The PANSS depression factor was highly associated with the MADRS psychological depression factor but not with MADRS behavioural depression. By contrast, the PANSS excitement factor showed a strong positive correlation with the behavioural depression factor but not with psychological depression. These MADRS factors were not associated significantly with the core PANSS factors, including psychomotor poverty. It is suggested that depression exists as an independent domain, differentiated from negative symptoms, in the structure of schizophrenia symptomatology.
© 2003 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Harris EC, Barraclough B: Excess mortality of mental disorder. Br J Psychiatry 1998;173:11–53.
Yung AR, McGorry PD: The initial prodrome in psychosis: Descriptive and qualitative aspects. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 1996;30:587–599.
- Häfner H, Löffler W, Maurer K, Hambrecht M, An der Heiden W: Depression, negative symptoms, social stagnation and social decline in the early course of schizophrenia. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1999;100:105–118.
- Birchwood M, Mason R, MacMillan F, Healy J: Depression, demoralization and control over psychotic illness: A comparison of depressed and non-depressed patients with a chronic psychosis. Psychol Med 1993;23:387–395.
Hirsch SR, Jolley AG: The dysphoric syndrome in schizophrenia and its implications for relapse. Br J Psychiatry Suppl 1989;46–50.
- Liddle PF: The symptoms of chronic schizophrenia. A re-examination of the positive-negative dichotomy. Br J Psychiatry 1987;151:145–151.
- Peralta V, Cuesta MJ: How many and which are the psychopathological dimensions in schizophrenia? Issues influencing their ascertainment. Schizophr Res 2001;49:269–285.
- Andreasen NC, Arndt S, Alliger R, Miller D, Flaum M: Symptoms of schizophrenia. Methods, meanings, and mechanisms. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1995;52:341–351.
- Bell MD, Lysaker PH, Beam-Goulet JL, Milstein RM, Lindenmayer JP: Five-component model of schizophrenia: Assessing the factorial invariance of the positive and negative syndrome scale. Psychiatry Res 1994;52:295–303.
- Lançon C, Reine G, Llorca PM, Auquier P: Validity and reliability of the French-language version of the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS). Acta Psychiatr Scand 1999;100:237–243.
- Lindenmayer JP, Grochowski S, Hyman RB: Five factor model of schizophrenia: Replication across samples. Schizophr Res 1995;14:229–234.
- Lykouras L, Oulis P, Psarros K, Daskalopoulou E, Botsis A, Christodoulou GN, Stefanis C: Five-factor model of schizophrenic psychopathology: How valid is it? Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2000;250:93–100.
- Lançon C, Auquier P, Nayt G, Reine G: Stability of the five-factor structure of the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS). Schizophr Res 2000;42:231–239.
- Willem Van der Does AJ, Dingemans PM, Linszen DH, Nugter MA, Scholte WF: Dimensions and subtypes of recent-onset schizophrenia. A longitudinal analysis. J Nerv Ment Dis 1995;183:681–687.
- Ventura J, Nuechterlein KH, Subotnik KL, Gutkind D, Gilbert EA: Symptom dimensions in recent-onset schizophrenia and mania: A principal-components analysis of the 24-item Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale. Psychiatry Res 2000;97:129–135.
- McGorry PD, Bell RC, Dudgeon PL, Jackson HJ: The dimensional structure of first episode psychosis: An exploratory factor analysis. Psychol Med 1998;28:935–947.
- Marengo J, Harrow M, Herbener ES, Sands J: A prospective longitudinal 10-year study of schizophrenia’s three major factors and depression. Psychiatry Res 2000;97:61–77.
Dollfus S, Petit M: Principal-component analyses of PANSS and SANS-SAPS in schizophrenia: Their stability in an acute phase. Eur Psychiatry 1995;10:97–106.
- McAdams LA, Harris MJ, Heaton SC, Bailey A, Fell R, Jeste DV: Validity of specific subscales of the positive and negative symptom scales in older schizophrenia outpatients. Schizophr Res 1997;27:219–226.
- Hamilton M: Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness. Br J Soc Clin Psychol 1967;6:278–296.
- Addington D, Addington J, Maticka-Tyndale E, Joyce J: Reliability and validity of a depression rating scale for schizophrenics. Schizophr Res 1992;6:201–208.
- Goldman RS, Tandon R, Liberzon I, Greden JF: Measurement of depression and negative symptoms in schizophrenia. Psychopathology 1992;25:49–56.
- Lançon C, Auquier P, Reine G, Bernard D, Toumi M: Study of the concurrent validity of the Calgary Depression Scale for Schizophrenics (CDSS). J Affect Disord 2000;58:107–115.
- Addington D, Addington J, Atkinson M: A psychometric comparison of the Calgary Depression Scale for Schizophrenia and the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale. Schizophr Res 1996;19:205–212.
- Montgomery SA, Åsberg M: A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change. Br J Psychiatry 1979;134:382–389.
- Galinowski A, Lehert P: Structural validity of MADRS during antidepressant treatment. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1995;10:157–161.
- Craighead WE, Evans DD: Factor analysis of the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale. Depression 1996;4:31–33.
Wolthaus JE, Dingemans PM, Schene AH, Linszen DH, Knegtering H, Holthausen EA, Cahn W, Hijman R: Component structure of the positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) in patients with recent-onset schizophrenia and spectrum disorders. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2000;150:399–403.
- Robins LN, Wing J, Wittchen HU, Helzer JE, Babor TF, Burke J, Farmer A, Jablenski A, Pickens R, Regier DA, et al: The composite international diagnostic interview. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1988;45:1069–1077.
American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, ed 4. Washington, American Psychiatric Association Press, 1994.
van Kammen DP, Marder SR: Dopamine receptor antagonists; in Kaplan HI, Sadock BJ (eds): Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1995.
Kay SR, Opler LA, Fiszbein A: Positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS). North Tonawanda, Multi-Health Systems Inc., 1986.
Agresti A, Finlay B: Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences, ed 3. Upper Saddle River, Prentice Hall, 1997.
Müller MJ, Szegedi A, Wetzel H, Benkert O: Moderate and severe depression. Gradations for the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale: J Affect Disord 2000;60:137–140.
- Jablensky A, Sartorius N, Ernberg G, Anker M, Korten A, Cooper JE, Day R, Bertelsen A: Schizophrenia: Manifestations, incidence and course in different cultures. A World Health Organization ten-country study. Psychol Med Monogr Suppl 1992;20:1–97.
- Addington D, Addington J, Patten S: Depression in people with first-episode schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry Suppl 1998;172:90–92.
- Lançon C, Auquier P, Reine G, Bernard D, Addington D: Relationships between depression and psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia during an acute episode and stable period. Schizophr Res 2001;47:135–140.
- Dollfus S, Petit M: Negative symptoms in schizophrenia: Their evolution during an acute phase. Schizophr Res 1995;17:187–194.
Cutting J: Descriptive psychopathology; in Hirsch SJ, Weinberger DR (eds): Schizophrenia. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Kulhara P, Avasthi A, Chadda R, Chandiramani K, Mattoo SK, Kota SK, Joseph S: Negative and depressive symptoms in schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 1989;154:207–211.
- Kibel DA, Laffont I, Liddle PF: The composition of the negative syndrome of chronic schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 1993;162:744–750.
- Silver H, David D, Kaplan M, Hadjez J, Tubi N, Darnel A, Calev A, Lerer B: Factor analysis of schizophrenic symptoms and comparison of different rating scales. Schizophr Res 1993;10:67–75.
- Barnes TR, Curson DA, Liddle PF, Patel M: The nature and prevalence of depression in chronic schizophrenic in-patients. Br J Psychiatry 1989;154:486–491.
- Lewine RR: A discriminant validity study of negative symptoms with a special focus on depression and antipsychotic medication. Am J Psychiatry 1990;147:1463–1466.
- Van Putten T, May RP: ‘Akinetic depression’ in schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1978;35:1101–1107.
- Dollfus S, Ribeyre JM, Petit M: Objective and subjective extrapyramidal side effects in schizophrenia: Their relationships with negative and depressive symptoms. Psychopathology 2000;33:125–130.
- Taylor MA: Are schizophrenia and affective disorder related? A selective literature review. Am J Psychiatry 1992;149:22–32.
- Persons JB: The advantages of studying psychological phenomena rather than psychiatric diagnoses. Am Psychol 1986;41:1252–1260.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.