Conflict of Interest in Psychopharmacology: Can Dr. Jekyll Still Control Mr. Hyde?Fava G.A.
Department of Psychology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
- Krimsky S: Journal policies on conflict of interest: If this is the therapy, what’s the disease? Psychother Psychosom 2001;70:115–117.
- Krimsky S, Rothenberg LS, Stott P, Kyle G: Scientific journals and their authors’ financial interests. Psychother Psychosom 1998;67:194–201.
- Fava GA: Conflict of interest and special interest groups. Psychother Psychosom 2001;70: 1–5.
- Fava GA: Holding on: Depression, sensitization by antidepressant drugs, and the prodigal experts. Psychother Psychosom 1995;64:57–61.
Kundera M: La lenteur. Paris, Gallimard, 1995.
Macedo D (ed): Chomsky on MisEducation. Lanham, Rowman and Littlefield, 2000.
- Marks IM, Swinson RP, Basoglu M, Kuch K, Noshirvani H, O’Sullivan G, Lelliott PT, Kirby M, McNamee G, Sengun S, Wickwire K: Alprazolam and exposure alone and combined in panic disorder with agoraphobia. Br J Psychiatry 1993;162:776–787.
- Basoglu M: Pharmacological and behavioral treatment of panic disorder. Psychother Psychosom 1992;58:57–59.
- Fava GA: All our dreams are sold. Psychother Psychosom 1998;67:191–193.
Healy D, Thase ME: Is academic psychiatry for sale? Br J Psychiatry 2003;182:388–390.
- Starcevic V: Opportunistic ‘rediscovery’ of mental disorders by the pharmaceutical industry. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:305–310.
Petersen M: Undisclosed financial ties prompt reproval of doctor. New York Times, Aug 3, 2003.
Kuhn TS: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, ed 2. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press, 1970.
- Schmidt ME, Fava M, Zhang S, Gonzales J, Raute NJ, Judge R: Treatment approaches to a major depressive disorder relapse. 1. Dose increase. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:190–194.
- Fava M, Schmidt ME, Zhang S, Gonzales J, Raute NJ, Judge R: Treatment approaches to a major depressive disorder relapse. 2. Reinitiation of antidepressant treatment. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:195–199.
- Baldessarini RJ, Ghaemi SN, Viguera A: Tolerance in antidepressant treatment. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:177–179.
- Ananth J, Venkatesh R, Burgoyne K, Gunatilake S: Atypical antipsychotic drug use and diabetes. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:244–254.
- Healy D: Lines of evidence on the risks of suicide with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:71–79.
Rihmer Z: Do SSRI increase the risk of suicide among depressives even if they are taking only placebo? Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:357–358.
Benazzi F: Do SSRIs cause suicide? Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:358–359.
- Healy D: Reply. Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:359–360.
Balon R: SSRIs and suicide: Is the evidence, as with beauty, in the eye of the beholder? Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:293–299.
- Faravelli C, Cosci F, Ciampelli M, Scarpato MA, Spiti R, Ricca V: A self-controlled, naturalistic study of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors versus tricyclic antidepressants. Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:95–101.
- Bahl S, Cotterch M, Kreiger N: Use of antidepressant medications and the possible association with breast cancer risk. Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:185–194.
Svensson S, Mansfield PR: Escitalopram: Superior to citalopram or a chiral chimera? Psychother Psychosom 2004;73:10–16.
- Cooper B: Evidence-based mental health policy: A critical appraisal. Br J Psychiatry 2003;183:105–113.
- Feinstein AR: Meta analysis: Statistical alchemy for the 21st century. J Clin Epidemiol 1995;48:71–79.
- Otto MW, Nierenberg AA: Assay sensitivity, failed clinical trials, and the conduct of science. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:241–243.
Lexchin J, Bero A, Djulbegovic B, Clark O: Pharmaceutical industry sponsorship and research outcome and quality. BMJ 2003;326:1167–1176.
Bekelman JE, Li Y, Gross CP: Scope and impact of financial conflict of interest in biomedical research. JAMA 2003;289:454–465.
Melander H, Ahlquist-Rastad J, Beermann B: Evidence b(i)ased medicine – Selective reporting from studies sponsored by pharmaceutical industry. BMJ 2003;326:1171–1175.
- Thornton A, Lee P: Publication bias in metaanalysis. J Clin Epidemiol 2000;53:207–216.
- Geddes JR, Carney SM, Davies C, Furukawa TA, Kupfer DJ, Frank E, Goodwin GM: Relapse prevention with antidepressant drug treatment in depressive disorders. Lancet 2003;361:653–661.
- Fava GA: Long-term treatment with antidepressant drugs: The spectacular achievements of propaganda. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:127–132.
- Sensky T: The utility of systematic reviews. Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:171–175.
- Feinstein AR: The intellectual crisis in clinical science: Medaled models or muddled mettle. Perspect Biol Med 1987;30:215–230.
- Karger T, Karger S: Some thoughts from your publisher. Psychother Psychosom 2002;71:63.
- Horwitz RI, Singer BH, Makuch RW, Viscoli CM: Can treatment that is helpful on average be harmful to some patients? J Clin Epidemiol 1996;49:395–400.
- Engel GL: Clinical observation. The neglected basis method of medicine. JAMA 1965;192:849–852.
Balon R: Reflections on relevance: Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics in 2003. Psychother Psychosom 2004;73:5–9.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.