Thematic Review Series
Interstitial Lung Disease Induced by Drugs and RadiationCamus P. · Fanton A. · Bonniaud P. · Camus C. · Foucher P.
Department of Pulmonary and Intensive Care, University Medical Center Le Bocage and Medical School, Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
An ever-increasing number of drugs can reproduce variegated patterns of naturally occurring interstitial lung disease (ILD), including most forms of interstitial pneumonias, alveolar involvement and, rarely, vasculitis. Drugs in one therapeutic class may collectively produce the same pattern of involvement. A few drugs can produce more than one pattern of ILD. The diagnosis of drug-induced ILD (DI-ILD) essentially rests on the temporal association between exposure to the drug and the development of pulmonary infiltrates. The histopathological features of DI-ILD are generally consistent, rather than suggestive or specific to the drug etiology. Thus, the diagnosis of DI-ILD is mainly made by the meticulous exclusion of all other possible causes. Drug dechallenge produces measurable improvement in symptoms and imaging in the majority of patients, whereas corticosteroid therapy is indicated if symptoms are present or drug dechallenge is without an effect. Rechallenge is justified in a minority of patients, and is discouraged for diagnostic purposes only. Pneumotox® (www.pneumotox.com) provides updated information on drug-induced respiratory disease.
© 2004 S. Karger AG, Basel
http://www.pneumotox.com: Pneumotox® Website, 1997. Producers: Foucher P, Camus P. Last update: April 2004.
- Ellis SJ, Cleverley JR, Müller NL: Drug-induced lung disease: High-resolution CT findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000;175:1019–1024.
- Erasmus JJ, McAdams HP, Rossi SE: High-resolution CT of drug-induced lung disease. Radiol Clin North Am 2002;40:61–72.
Camus P: Drug-induced infiltrative lung diseases; in Schwarz MI, King TE Jr (eds): Interstitial Lung Disease, ed 4. Hamilton, Decker, 2003, pp 485–534.
Limper AH: Chemotherapy-induced lung disease. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:53–64.
Lock BJ, Eggert M, Cooper JAD Jr: Infiltrative lung disease due to noncytotoxic agents. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:47–52.
O’Donnell AE: Lung disease in drug abusers. Clin Chest Med, in press.
Higenbottam TW: Bronchiolitis obliterans following the ingestion of an Asian shrub leaf. Thorax 1997;52(suppl 3):S68–S72.
Abratt RP, Onc FR, Morgan GW, Silvestri G, Willcox P: Pulmonary complications of radiation therapy. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:167–177.
Poletti V, Chilosi M, Olivieri D: Diagnostic invasive procedures in diffuse infiltrative lung diseases. Respiration 2004;71:107–119.
Zompatori M, Bna C, Poletti V, Spaggiari E, Ormitti F, Calabro E, Tognini G, Sverzellati N: Diagnostic imaging of diffuse infiltrative disease of the lung. Respiration 2004;71:4–19.
Camus P: Drug-induced respiratory disease in connective tissue diseases; in Wells AU (ed): Pulmonary Disease in Connective Tissue Diseases, in press.
- Collins J: CT signs and patterns of lung disease. Radiol Clin North Am 2001;39:1115–1135.
Costabel U, Uzaslan E, Guzman J: Bronchoalveolar lavage in drug-induced lung disease. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:25–36.
Flieder DB, Travis WD: Pathologic characteristics of drug-induced lung disease. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:37–46.
Thomeer MJ, Costabel U, Rizzato G, Poletti V, Demedts M: Comparison of registries of interstitial lung diseases in three European countries. Eur Respir J 2001;18:114s–118s.
Camus P, Martin WJ 2nd, Rosenow EC 3rd: Amiodarone pulmonary toxicity. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:65–76.
- Sitbon O, Bidel N, Dussopt C, Azarian R, Braud ML, Lebargy F, Fourme T, Piard F, Camus P: Minocycline pneumonitis and eosinophilia: A report on 8 patients. Arch Intern Med 1994;154:1633–1640.
Allen JN: Drug-induced eosinophilic lung disease. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:77–88.
Lee-Chiong TLJ, Matthay RA: Drug-induced pulmonary edema and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:95–104.
Schwarz MI, Fontenot AP: Drug-induced diffuse alveolar hemorrhage syndromes and vasculitis. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:133–140.
- Akira M, Ishikawa H, Yamamoto S: Drug-induced pneumonitis: Thin-section CT findings in 60 patients. Radiology 2002;224:852–860.
Lindell RM, Hartman TE: Chest imaging in iatrogenic respiratory disease. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:15–24.
- Cannon GW: Methotrexate pulmonary toxicity. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1997;23:917–937.
- Imokawa S, Colby TV, Leslie KO, Helmers RA: Methotrexate pneumonitis: Review of the literature and histopathological findings in nine patients. Eur Respir J 2000;15:373–381.
- Zisman DA, McCune WJ, Tino G, Lynch JPI: Drug-induced pneumonitis: The role of methotrexate. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2001;18:243–252.
- Schnabel A, Dalhoff K, Bauerfeind S, Barth J, Gross WL: Sustained cough in methotrexate therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol 1996;15:277–282.
- Clearkin R, Corris PA, Thomas SHL: Methotrexate pneumonitis in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Postgrad Med J 1997;73:603–604.
- Fuhrman C, Parrot A, Wislez M, Prigent H, Boussaud V, Bernaudin JF, Mayaud C, Cadranel J: Spectrum of CD4 to CD8 T-cell ratios in lymphocytic alveolitis associated with methotrexate-induced pneumonitis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001;164:1186–1191.
- Kane GC, Troshinsky MB, Peters SP, Israel HL: Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia associated with weekly methotrexate: Cumulative dose of methotrexate and low CD4 cell count may predict this complication. Respir Med 1993;87:153–155.
- Kremer JM, Alarcon GS, Weinblatt ME, Kaymakcian MV, Macaluso M, Cannon GW, Palmer WR, Sundy JS, St Clair EW, Alexander RW, Walker-Smith GJ, Axiotis CA: Clinical, laboratory, radiographic, and histopathologic features of methotrexate-associated lung injury in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1997;40:1829–1837.
- Tomioka H, King TEJ: Gold-induced pulmonary disease: Clinical features, outcome, and differentiation from rheumatoid lung disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997;155:1011–1020.
- Tan L, Testa G, Yung T: Diffuse alveolar damage in BCGosis: A rare complication of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy for transitional cell carcinoma. Pathology 1999;31:55–56.
Rossi SE, Erasmus JJ, McAdams P, Sporn TA, Goodman PC: Pulmonary drug toxicity: Radiologic and pathologic manifestations. Radiographics 2000;5:1245–1259.
- Donaldson L, Grant IS, Naysmith MR, Thomas JS: Acute amiodarone-induced lung toxicity. Intensive Care Med 1998;24:626–630.
- Kaushik S, Hussain A, Clarke P, Lazar HL: Acute pulmonary toxicity after low-dose amiodarone therapy. Ann Thorac Surg 2001;72:1760–1761.
- Kharabsheh S, Abendroth CS, Kozak M: Fatal pulmonary toxicity occurring within two weeks of initiation of amiodarone. Am J Cardiol 2002;89:896–898.
Brinker A, Johnston M: Acute pulmonary injury in association with amiodarone. Chest 2004;125:1591–1592.
- van Mieghem W, Coolen L, Malysse I, Lacquet LM, Deneffe GJD, Demedts MGP: Amiodarone and the development of ARDS after lung surgery. Chest 1994;105:1642–1645.
- Varnell RM, Godwin JD, Richardson ML, Vincent JM: Adult respiratory distress syndrome from overdose of tricyclic antidepressants. Radiology 1989;170:667–670.
- Mann H, Ward JH, Samlowski WE: Vascular leak syndrome associated with interleukin-2:Chest radiographic manifestations. Radiology 1990;176:191–194.
- Choi HK, Merkel PA, Walker AM, Niles JL: Drug-associated antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-positive vasculitis: Prevalence among patients with high titers of antimyeloperoxidase antibodies. Arthritis Rheum 2000;43:405–413.
Freemer MM, King TE Jr: Connective tissue diseases; in Schwarz MI, King TE Jr (eds): Interstitial Lung Disease, ed 4. Hamilton, Decker, 2003, pp 535–598.
- Choi HK, Merkel PA, Cohen-Tervaert JW, Black RM, McCluskey RT, Niles JL: Alternating antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody specificity. Drug-induced vasculitis in a patient with Wegener’s granulomatosis. Arthritis Rheum 1999;42:384–388.
- Cohen AJ, King TE Jr, Downey GP: Rapidly progressive bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994;149:1670–1675.
- Wallis JP: Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI) – under-diagnosed and under-reported. Br J Anaesth 2003;90:573–576.
Kopko PM, Popovsky MA: Pulmonary injury from transfusion-related acute lung injury. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:105–113.
Kopko PM, Marshall CS, MacKenzie MR, Holland PV, Popovsky MA: Transfusion-related acute lung injury: Report of a clinical look-back investigation. JAMA 2002;287:1968–1971.
- Urban C, Nirenberg A, Caparros B, Anac S, Cacavio A, Rosen G: Chemical pleuritis as the cause of acute chest pain following high-dose methotrexate treatment. Cancer 1983;51:34–37.
- White DA, Schwartzberg LS, Kris MG, Bosl GJ: Acute chest pain syndrome during bleomycin infusions. Cancer 1987;59:1582–1585.
Liesching T, O’Brien A: Dyspnea, chest pain, and cough: The lurking culprit. Nitrofurantoin-induced pulmonary toxicity. Postgrad Med 2002;112:19–20, 24.
Balfour-Lynn IM, Mohan U, Bush A, Rosenthal M: Intravenous immunoglobulin for cystic fibrosis lung disease: A case series of 16 children. Arch Dis Child 2004;89:315–319.
Camus P: Drug-induced pleural disease; in Bouros D, Lenfant C (eds): Pleural Disorders. New York, Dekker, 2004, pp 317–352.
Malhotra A, Muse VV, Mark EJ: Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 12-2003. An 82-year-old man with dyspnea and pulmonary abnormalities. N Engl J Med 2003;348:1574–1585.
- Bone RC, Wolfe J, Sobonya RE, Kerby GR, Stechschulte D, Ruth WE, Welch M: Desquamative interstitial pneumonia following long-term nitrofurantoin therapy. Am J Med 1976;60:697–701.
Cottin V, Frognier R, Monnot H, Levy A, De Vuyst P, Cordier JF: Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia after radiation therapy for breast cancer. Eur Respir J 2004;23:9–13.
- Yamakado S, Yoshida Y, Yamada T, Kishida T, Kobayashi M, Nomura T: Pulmonary infiltration and eosinophilia associated with sulfasalazine therapy for ulcerative colitis: A case report and review of the literature. Intern Med 1992;31:108–113.
- Camus P, Piard F, Ashcroft T, Gal AA, Colby TV: The lung in inflammatory bowel disease. Medicine (Baltimore) 1993;72:151–183.
- Sunderji R, Kanji Z, Gin K: Pulmonary effects of low dose amiodarone: A review of the risks and recommendations for surveillance. Can J Cardiol 2000;16:1435–1440.
- Mason JW: Amiodarone pulmonary toxicity and Professor Hounsfield. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2001;12:437–438.
- Poll LW, May P, Koch JA, Hetzel G, Heering P, Modder U: HRCT findings of amiodarone pulmonary toxicity: Clinical and radiologic regression. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 2001;6:307–311.
- Vernhet H, Bousquet C, Durand G, Giron J, Senac JP: Reversible amiodarone-induced lung disease: HRCT findings. Eur Radiol 2001;11:1697–1703.
- Ott MC, Khoor A, Leventhal JP, Paterick TE, Burger CD: Pulmonary toxicity in patients receiving low-dose amiodarone. Chest 2003;123:646–651.
- Chouri N, Langin T, Lantuejoul S, Coulomb M, Brambilla C: Pulmonary nodules with the CT halo sign. Respiration 2002;69:103–106.
- Coudert B, Bailly F, André F, Lombard JN, Camus P: Amiodarone pneumonitis: Bronchoalveolar lavage findings in 15 patients and review of the literature. Chest 1992;102:1005–1012.
- Bedrossian CW, Warren CJ, Ohar J, Bhan R: Amiodarone pulmonary toxicity: Cytopathology, ultrastructure, and immunocytochemistry. Ann Diagn Pathol 1997;1:47–56.
- Myers JL, Kennedy JI, Plumb VJ: Amiodarone lung: Pathologic findings in clinically toxic patients. Hum Pathol 1987;18:349–354.
- Cox G, Johnson J, Kinnear WJM, Johnston IDA: Amiodarone and the lung: Wide variations in clinical practice. Respir Med 2000;94:1130–1131.
Epler GR: Drug-induced bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia. Clin Chest Med 2004;25:89–94.
- Weyl Ben Arush M, Roguin A, Zamir E, Et-Hassid R, Pries D, Gaitini D, Dale A, Postovsky S: Bleomycin and cyclophosphamide toxicity simulating metastatic nodules to the lungs in childhood cancer. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1997;14:381–386.
- Camus P, Lombard JN, Perrichon M, Guerin JC, Bejui-Thivolet F, Piard F, Jeannin L: Bronchiolitis obliterans organising pneumonia in patients taking acebutolol or amiodarone. Thorax 1989;44:711–715.
Fawcett IW, Ibrahim NBN: BOOP associated with nitrofurantoin. Thorax 2001;56:161.
- Beasley MB, Franks TJ, Galvin JR, Gochuico B, Travis WD: Acute fibrinous and organizing pneumonia. A histologic pattern of lung injury and possible variant of diffuse alveolar damage. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2002;126:1064–1070.
- Faller M, Quoix E, Popin E, Gangi A, Gasser B, Mathelin C, Pauli G: Migratory pulmonary infiltrates in a patient treated with sotalol. Eur Respir J 1997;10:2159–2162.
- O’Driscoll BR, Hasleton PS, Taylor PM, Poulter LW, Gattamaneni HR, Woodcock AA: Active lung fibrosis up to 17 years after chemotherapy with carmustine (BCNU) in childhood. N Engl J Med 1990;323:378–382.
- Alvarado CS, Boat TF, Newman AJ: Late-onset pulmonary fibrosis and chest deformity in two children treated with cyclophosphamide. J Pediatr 1978;92:443–446.
- Pfitzenmeyer P, Foucher P, Dennewald G, Chevalon B, Debieuvre D, Bensa P, Piard F, Camus P: Pleuropulmonary changes induced by ergoline drugs. Eur Respir J 1996;9:1013–1019.
- Gondouin A, Manzoni P, Ranfaing E, Brun J, Cadranel J, Sadoun D, Cordier J F, Depierre A, Dalphin JC: Exogenous lipid pneumonia: A retrospective multicentre study of 44 cases in France. Eur Respir J 1996;9:1463–1469.
- Wheeler PS, Stitik FP, Hutchins GM, Klinefelter HF, Siegelman SS: Diagnosis of lipoid pneumonia by computed tomography. JAMA 1981;245:65–66.
- Lee KS, Müller NL, Hale V, Newell JD, Lynch DA, Im JG: Lipoid pneumonia: CT findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1995;19:48–51.
- Franquet T, Gomez-Santos D, Gimenez A, Torrubia S, Monill JM: Fire eater’s pneumonia: Radiographic and CT findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2000;24:448–450.
- de Diego A, Rogado MC, Prieto M, Nauffal D, Perpina M: Disseminated pulmonary granulomas after intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guérin immunotherapy. Respiration 1997;64:304–306.
- Paterson DL, Patel A: Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) immunotherapy for bladder cancer: Review of complications and their treatment. Aust NZ J Surg 1998;68:340–344.
- Fenniche S, Hassene H, Attia S, Fkih L, Bousnina S, Cheikh K, Belhabib D, Megdiche ML: A rare complication of antineoplastic BCG therapy: Pulmonary tuberculosis. Tunis Med 2001;79:467–470.
- Tahan V, Ozseker F, Guneylioglu D, Baran A, Ozaras R, Mert A, Ucisik AC, Cagatay T, Yilmazbayhan D, Senturk H: Sarcoidosis after use of interferon for chronic hepatitis C: Report of a case and review of the literature. Dig Dis Sci 2003;48:169–173.
- Mukhopadhyay A, Stanley NN: Churg-Strauss syndrome associated with montelukast. Postgrad Med J 2001;77:390–391.
Lilly CM, Churg A, Lazarovich M, Pauwels R, Hendeles L, Rosenwasser LJ, Ledford D, Wechsler ME: Asthma therapies and Churg-Strauss syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002;109:S1–S19.
- Solans R, Bosch JA, Selva A, Orriols R, Vilardell M: Montelukast and Churg-Strauss syndrome. Thorax 2002;57:183–185.
- Tang MBY, Yosipovitch G: Acute Churg-Strauss syndrome in an asthmatic patient receiving montelukast therapy. Arch Dermatol 2003;139:715–718.
- Keogh KA, Specks U: Churg-Strauss syndrome: Clinical presentation, antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies, and leukotriene receptor antagonists. Am J Med 2003;115:284–290.
- Lombard CM, Churg A, Winokur S: Pulmonary veno-occlusive disease following therapy for malignant neoplasms. Chest 1987;92:871–876.
- Lee JH, Lee KH, Choi SJ, Min YJ, Kim JG, Kim S, Lee JS, Kim SH, Park CJ, Chi HS, Kim WK: Veno-occlusive disease of the liver after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for severe aplastic anemia. Bone Marrow Transplant 2000;26:657–662.
- Vansteenkiste JF, Bomans P, Verbeken EK, Nackaerts KL, Demedts MG: Fatal pulmonary veno-occlusive disease possibly related to gemcitabine. Lung Cancer 2001;31:83–85.
- Fourme T, Vieillard-Baron A, Loubières Y, Julie C, Page B, Jardin F: Early fat embolism after liposuction. Anesthesiology 1998;89:782–784.
Lekka ME, Liokatis S, Nathanail C, Galani V, Nakos G: The impact of intravenous fat emulsion administration in acute lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004;169:638–644.
- Bairaktari A, Raitsiou B, Kokolaki M, Mitselou M, Dritsas G, Dahabre G, Vafiadou M: Respiratory failure after pneumonectomy in a patient with unknown hyperlipidemia. Respiratory failure after propofol infusion. Anesth Analg 2001;93:292–293.
- Cantrell JE, Phillips TM, Schein PS: Carcinoma-associated hemolytic-uremic syndrome: A complication of mitomycin C chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 1985;3:723–734.
Walter RB, Joerger M, Pestalozzi BC: Gemcitabine-associated hemolytic-uremic syndrome. Am J Kidney Dis 2002;40:1–6.
- de Vriese ASP, Philippe J, Van Renterghem DM, De Cuyper CA, Hindryckx PHF, Matthys EGJ, Louagie A: Carbamazepine hypersensitivity syndrome: Report of 4 cases and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1995;74:144–150.
- Matuschak GM: Pseudosepsis syndrome, multiple-system organ failure, and chronic salicylate intoxication. Inhibition of regulatory eicosanoids? Chest 1991;100:1188–1189.
- Chastain MA, Russo GG, Boh EE, Chastain JB, Falabella A, Millikan LE: Propylthiouracil hypersensitivity: Report of two patients with vasculitis and review of the literature. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;41:757–764.
- Marik P: Anticonvulsant hypersensitivity syndrome occurring as sepsis with multiorgan dysfunction. Pharmacotherapy 1999;19:346–348.
Ghislain PD, Bodarwe AD, Vanderdonckt O, Tennstedt D, Marot L, Lachapelle JM: Drug-induced eosinophilia and multisystemic failure with positive patch-test reaction to spironolactone: DRESS syndrome. Acta Derm Venereol 2004;84:65–68.
- Rubin RL: Etiology and mechanisms of drug-induced lupus. Curr Opin Rheumatol 1999;11:357–363.
- Goldman AL, Enquist R: Hyperacute radiation pneumonitis. Chest 1975;67:613–615.
- Crestani B, Kambouchner M, Soler P, Crequit J, Brauner M, Battesti JP, Valeyre D: Migratory bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia after unilateral radiation therapy for breast carcinoma. Eur Respir J 1995;8:318–321.
- Leung TWT, Lau WY, Ho SKW, Ward SC, Chow JHS, Chan MSY, Metreweli C, Johnson PJ, Li AKC: Radiation pneumonitis after selective internal radiation treatment with intraarterial 90yttrium-microspheres for inoperable hepatic tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995;33:919–924.
- Lin M: Radiation pneumonitis caused by yttrium-90 microspheres: Radiologic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1994;162:1300–1302.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.