Ecarin Chromogenic Assay – A New Method for Quantitative Determination of Direct Thrombin Inhibitors Like HirudinLange U.a · Nowak G.b · Bucha E.a
aHaemoSys GmbH and bResearch Unit ‘Pharmacological Hemostaseology’, Medical Faculty, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Dr. Ute Lange
Winzerlaer Strasse 2
DE–07745 Jena (Germany)
Tel. +49 36 41 50 83 21, Fax +49 36 41 50 83 01, E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have an account?
A new sensitive and precise method for quantitative determination of direct thrombin inhibitors is described, the ecarin chromogenic assay (ECA). Ecarin is used as the specific prothrombin-activating principle. The cleavage of a chromogenic substrate by meizothrombin is inhibited in a concentration-dependent fashion by direct thrombin inhibitors. For the ECA, the linear measuring range is about 0.1–3.0 µg hirudin/ml plasma. Coefficients of variations between 2.3 and 4% over the whole concentration range were achieved. The ECA has proved to be more sensitive than the compared tests (ecarin clotting time and a thrombin-based chromogenic assay); a detection limit of 0.011 µg hirudin/ml and a quantitation limit of 0.032 µg hirudin/ml were calculated. The ECA is independent of the variations of the coagulation variables fibrinogen and prothrombin. Neither heparin nor oral anticoagulants interfere with the ECA.
© 2004 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Tripodi A, Chantarangkul V, Arbini AA, Moia M, Mannucci PM: Effects of hirudin on activated partial thromboplastin time determined with ten different reagents. Thromb Haemost 1993;70:286–288.
- Nurmohamed MT, Berckmans RJ, Morrien-Salomons WM, Berends F, Hommes DW, Rijnierse JJ, Sturk A: Monitoring anticoagulant therapy by activated partial thromboplastin time: Hirudin assessment. An evaluation of native blood and plasma assays. Thromb Haemost 1994;72:685–692.
- Cullberg M, Eriksson UG, Larsson M, Karlsson MO: Population modelling of the effect of inogatran, a thrombin inhibitor, on ex vivo coagulation time (APTT) in healthy subjects and in patients with coronary artery disease. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2001;51:71–79.
- Despotis GJ, Hogue CW, Saleem R, Bigham M, Skubas N, Apostolidou I, Qayum A, Joist JH: The relationship between hirudin and activated clotting time: Implications for patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia undergoing cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 2001;93:28–32.
- Reid TJ 3rd, Alving BM: A quantitative thrombin time for determining levels of hirudin and hirulog. Thromb Haemost 1993;70:608–616.
- Spinner S, Stoffler G, Fink E: Quantitative enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for hirudin. J Immunol Methods 1986;87:79–83.
- Spinner S, Scheffauer F, Maschler R, Stoffler G: A hirudin catching ELISA for quantitating the anticoagulant in biological fluids. Thromb Res 1988;51:617–625.
- Iyer L, Adam M, Amiral J, Fareed J, Bermes E Jr: Development and validation of two enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) methods for recombinant hirudin. Semin Thromb Hemost 1995;21:184–192.
- Griessbach U, Stürzebecher J, Markwardt F: Assay of hirudin in plasma using a chromogenic thrombin substrate. Thromb Res 1985;37:347–350.
- Stürzebecher J: Methods for determination of hirudin. Semin Thromb Hemost 1991;17:99–102.
- Spannagl M, Bichler J, Birg A, Lill H, Schramm W: Development of a chromogenic substrate assay for the determination of hirudin in plasma. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 1991;2:121–127.
- Groetsch H, Damm D, Ben Youssef R, Haertel D: Comparison of two different methods for the determination of rDNA-hirudin in plasma samples: HPLC vs a chromogenic thrombin substrate. Thromb Res 1991;64:273–277.
- Hafner G, Fickenscher K, Friesen HJ, Rupprecht HJ, Konheiser U, Ehrenthal W, Lotz J, Prellwitz W: Evaluation of an automated chromogenic substrate assay for the rapid determination of hirudin in plasma. Thromb Res 1995;77:165–173.
Calatzis A, Spannagl M, Gempeler-Messina P, Kolde HJ, Schramm W, Haas S: The prothrombinase-induced clotting test: A new technique for the monitoring of anticoagulants. Haemostasis 2000;30(suppl 2):172–174.
Nowak G, Bucha E: A new method for the therapeutic monitoring of hirudin. Thromb Haemost 1993;69:306–310.
Nowak G: Monitoring of the action of antithrombin agents by ecarin clotting time; in Pifarré R (ed): New Anticoagulants for the Cardiovascular Patient. Philadelphia, Hanley & Belfus, 1997, pp 539–550.
- Nowak G: Clinical monitoring of hirudin and direct thrombin inhibitors. Semin Thromb Hemost 2001;27:537–541.
- Hafner G, Roser M, Nauck M: Methods for the monitoring of direct thrombin inhibitors. Semin Thromb Hemost 2002;28:425–430.
- Ratnoff OD, Menzie C: A new method for the determination of fibrinogen in small samples of plasma. J Lab Clin Med 1954;37:316–320.
- Nowak G, Bucha E: Quantitative determination of hirudin in blood and body fluids. Semin Thromb Hemost 1996;22:197–202.
- Morita T, Iwanaga S, Suzuki T: The mechanism of action of bovine prothrombin by an activator isolated from Echis carinatus venom and characterization of the new active intermediates. J Biochem (Tokyo) 1976;79:1089–1108.
- Rhee MJ, Morris S, Kosow DP: Role of meizothrombin and meizothrombin-(des F1) in the conversion of prothrombin to thrombin by the Echis carinatus venom coagulant. Biochemistry 1982;21:3437–3443.
- Cote HC, Stevens WK, Bajzar L, Banfield DK, Nesheim ME, MacGillivray RT: Characterization of a stable form of human meizothrombin derived from recombinant prothrombin (R155A, R271A, and R284A). J Biol Chem 1994;269:11374–11380.
- Schoen P, Lindhout T: The in situ inhibition of prothrombinase-formed human alpha-thrombin and meizothrombin (des F1) by antithrombin III and heparin. J Biol Chem 1987;262:11268–11274.
- Lindhoff-Last E, Piechottka GP, Rabe F, Bauersachs R: Hirudin determination in plasma can be strongly influenced by the prothrombin level. Thromb Res 2000;100:55–60.
Lange U, Wiesenburg A, Olschewski A, Nowak G, Bucha E: Quantitative determination of direct thrombin inhibitors using the ecarin chromogenic assay (ECA) – both POCT and automated method. Ann Hematol 2003;82 (suppl 1):S53.
- Kathiresan S, Shiomura J, Jang IK: Argatroban. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2002;13:41–47.
- Fenyvesi T, Jörg I, Harenberg J: Monitoring of anticoagulant effects of direct thrombin inhibitors. Semin Thromb Hemost 2002;28:361–368.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.