Anomalous Subjective Experience among First-Admitted Schizophrenia Spectrum Patients: Empirical InvestigationParnas J.a, b · Handest P.a · Jansson L.a · Sæbye D.c
aDepartment of Psychiatry, Copenhagen University, Hvidovre Hospital, Hvidovre, bCenter for Subjectivity Research, The National Danish Research Foundation, University of Copenhagen, and cStatistical Unit, Institute of Preventive Medicine, Copenhagen Hospital Corporation, Copenhagen, Denmark
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Our research group has for several years conducted philosophically informed, phenomenological-empirical studies of morbid alterations of conscious experience (subjectivity) in schizophrenia (Sz) and its spectrum of disorders. Some of these experiential alterations constitute, in our view, the vulnerability markers to Sz – indicators that are intrinsic to this disorder and which were historically considered as constituting the phenotypic anchor of the very concept and the diagnostic validity of Sz spectrum disorders. In a more pragmatic clinical context, these indicators, considered here as symptoms, may be potentially effective for early differential diagnosis. In this study, 151 consecutive first-admitted patients (with bipolar, melancholic and organic patients excluded) diagnosed according to the ICD-10, were evaluated on a number of expressive and experiential psychopathological dimensions, with special emphasis on the experiences of perplexity, disorders of self-awareness, perceptual disorders and anomalous bodily experiences. The a priori scales derived from the item pool of a slightly modified OPCRIT and BSABS were used for analyses. Sz and schizotypal disorder scored equally on the subjective dimensions, suggesting a basic phenomenological affinity of these disorders. In contrast, anomalies of subjective experience were clearly more pronounced among the patients within, as compared to those outside the Sz spectrum.
© 2005 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Andreasen N: Understanding schizophrenia: a silent spring. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:1657–1659.
- Maj M: Critique of the DSM-IV operational diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 1998;172:458–460.
- Tucker GJ: Putting DSM-IV in perspective. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:159–161.
- Parnas J: Genetics and psychopathology of spectrum phenotypes. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2000;101:413–415.
- McGlashan TH, Johannesen JO: Early detection and intervention with schizophrenia: rationale. Schizophr Bull 1996;22:201–222.
- McGorry PD, McFarlane C, Patton GC, Bell R, Hibbert ME, Jackson HJ, Bowses G: The prevalence of prodromal features of schizophrenia in adolescence: a preliminary study. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1995;92:241–249.
- Weiser M, Reichenberg A, Rabinowitz J, Kaplan Z, Mark M, Bodner E, Nahon D, Davidson M: Association between non-psychotic psychiatric diagnoses in adolescent males and subsequent onset of schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58:959–964.
- Yung AR, Philips LJ, Yuen HP, McGorry PD: Risk factors for psychosis in an ultra-high risk group: psychopathology and clinical features. Schizophr Res 2004;67:131–142.
Berze J: Die primäre Insuffizienz der psychischen Aktivität. Ihr Wesen, ihre Erscheinungen und ihre Bedeutung als Grundstörungen der Dementia Praecox und der hypophre nen überhaupt. Leipzig, Franz Deuticke, 1914.
Berze J, Gruhle HW: Psychologie der Schizophrenie. Berlin, Springer, 1929.
Janet P: Les délires d’influence et les sentiments sociaux. Textes réunis par la Société Pierre Janet. Bull Psychol 1993;1–2:1–192.
Clerambault GG: L’automatisme mental. Paris, Les empêcheurs de penser en rond, 1992.
- McGhie A, Chapman J: Disorders of attention and perception in early Sz. Br J Med Psychol 1961;34:103–116.
- Huber G: Das Konzept substratnaher Basissymptome und seine Bedeutung für Theorie und Therapie schizophrener Erkrankungen. Nervenarzt 1983;54:23–32.
- Klosterkötter J, Hellmich M, Steinmeyer EM, Schultze-Lutter F: Diagnosing schizophrenia in the initial prodromal phase. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58:158–164.
- Parnas J, Handest P: Phenomenology of anomalous self-experience in early schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry 2003;44:121–134.
Parnas J, Bovet P, Zahavi D: Schizophrenic autism: clinical phenomenology and pathogenetic implications. World Psychiatry 2002;3:131–136.
- Sass L, Parnas J: Self, consciousness, and schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 2003;29:427–444.
- McGuffin P, Farmer AE, Harvey I: A polydiagnostic application of operational criteria in psychotic illness: development and reliability of the OPCRIT system. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1991;48:764–770.
- Endicott J, Spitzer RL: A diagnostic interview: the schedule for affective disorders and schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1978;35:837–844.
Kety SS, Rosenthal D, Wender PH, Schulsinger F: The types and prevalence of mental illness in the biological and adoptive families of adopted schizophrenics; in Rosenthal D, Kety SS (eds): The Transmission of Schizophrenia. Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1968, pp 345–362.
- Parnas J, Cannon T, Jacobsen B, Schulsinger H, Schulsinger F, Mednick SA: Life-time DSM-IIIR diagnostic outcomes in offspring of schizophrenic mothers: the results from the Copenhagen High Risk Study. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1993;50:707–714.
Matthysse S, Holzman PS, Gusella JF, Levy DL, Harte CB, Jorgensen AA, Parnas J: Linkage of eye movement dysfunction to chromosome 6p in schizophrenia: additional evidence. Am J Hum Genet 2004;128:30–36.
Gross G, Huber G, Klosterkötter J, Linz M: Bonner Skala für die Beurteilung von Basissymptomen. Berlin, Springer, 1987. Danish translation by Handest P, Handest M (Parnas J, Handest P, eds.). Copenhagen, Synthélabo Scandinavia A/S, 1995.
- Kay S, Fishbein A, Opier L: The positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1987;13:261–275.
- Cannon-Spoor HE, Potkin SG, Wyatt RJ: Measurement of premorbid adjustment in chronic schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1982;8:470–484.
- Endicott J, Spitzer RL, Fleiss JL: The global assessment scale: a procedure for measuring overall severity of psychiatric disturbances. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1976;33:766–771.
- Parnas J, Handest P, Saebye D, Jansson L: Anomalies of subjective experience in schizophrenia and psychotic bipolar illness. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2003;108:126–133.
- Cronbach LJ: Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrica 1951;16:297–334.
Jansson L, Parnas J: Schizophrenia spectrum diagnoses in 100 consecutive first admissions to a psychiatric department: problems of sampling (poster). 2nd Int Conf Early Psychosis. New York, International Early Psychosis Association, 2000.
Parnas J, Licht D, Bovet P: The cluster A personality disorders: a review; in Maj M, Akiskal H, Mezzich J, Okasha A (eds): Personality Disorders. WPA Series in Evidence and Experience in Psychiatry. New York, Wiley, 2005, pp 1–74.
Parnas J, Jansson L, Sass LS, Handest P: Self-experience in the prodromal phases of schizophrenia: a pilot study of first admissions. Neurol Psychiatry Brain Res 1998;6:97–106.
- Møller P, Husby R: The initial prodrome in schizophrenia: searching for naturalistic core dimensions of experience and behavior. Schizophr Bull 2000;26:217–232.
Marcel A: The sense of agency: awareness and ownership of action; in Roessler J, Eilan N (eds): Agency and Self-awareness. Issues in Philosophy and Psychology. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2003, pp 48–93.
Henry M: L’essence de la manifestation. Paris, PUF, 1962.
Parnas J: The self and intentionality in the pre-psychotic stages of schizophrenia; in Zahavi D (ed): Exploring the Self: Philosophical and Psychopathological Perspectives on Self-experience. Amsterdam, Benjamins, 2000, pp 115–147.
Blankenburg W: Der Verlust der natürlichen Selbstverständlichkeit: Ein Beitrag zur Psychopathologie symptomarmer Schizophrenien. Stuttgart, Enke, 1971.
Minkowski E: La schizophrénie. Psychopathologie des schizoïdes et des schizophrènes. Paris, Payot, 1927.
Binswanger L: Drei Formen misglückten Daseins. Verstiegenheit, Verschrobenheit, Manieriertheit. Tübingen, Niemeyer, 1956.
Parnas J, Zahavi D: The role of phenomenology in psychiatric classification and diagnosis; in Maj M, Gaebel W, Lopez-Ibor JJ (eds): Psychiatric Diagnosis and Classification:. World Psychiatric Association Series in Evidence and Experience in Psychiatry. Chichester, Wiley, 2002, pp 137–162.
Parnas J: Belief and pathology of self-awareness: A phenomenological contribution to the classification of delusions. J Consc Stud 2004;10–11:148–161.
- Parnas J, Møller P, Kircher T, Thalbitzer J, Handest P, Jansson L, Zahavi D: EASE: Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience. Psychopathology 2005;38:236–258.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.