Diastolic Dysfunction and Pulmonary Hypertension in Sickle Cell Anemia: Is There a Role for L-Carnitine Treatment?El-Beshlawy A.a · Abd El Raouf E.a · Mostafa F.a · Talaat M.a · Isma’eel H.b · Aoun E.b · Hoffbrand A.V.c · Taher A.b
aDepartment of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt; bDepartment of Internal Medicine, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon; cDepartment of Haematology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Clinical manifestations of cardiovascular abnormalities in patients with sickle cell (SC) anemia are well documented. Many variables were assessed in our study before and after administration of L-carnitine to randomly selected 37 SC disease (SCD) children for a period of 6 months. Variables such as weight, height, serum ferritin levels, units of blood transfused and the number of veno-occlusive crises all showed significant improvement after the 6 months of therapy with L-carnitine. Our study also showed that cardiac diastolic function and pulmonary hypertention are common in pediatric SCD patients. These two disorders showed some improvement after L-carnitine administration. Therefore, L-carnitine deserves a rigorous large-scale randomized clinical trial to evaluate its potential benefits as treatment for SCD patients with cardiac complications.
© 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Balfour IC, Covitz W, Davis H, Rao PS, Strong WB, Alpert BS: Cardiac size and function in children with sickle cell anemia. Am Heart J 1984;108:345–350.
- Bahl VK, Malhotra OP, Kumar D, Agarwal R, Goswami KC, Bajaj R, Shrivastava S: Noninvasive assessment of systolic and diastolic left ventricular function in patients with chronic severe anemia: a combined M-mode, two-dimensional, and Doppler echocardiographic study. Am Heart J 1992;124:1516–1523.
- Collins FS, Orringer EP: Pulmonary hypertension and core pulmonale in the sickle hemoglobinopathies. Am J Med 1982;73:814–822.
- Lester LA, Sodt PC, Hutcheon N, Arcilla RA: Cardiac abnormalities in children with sickle cell anemia. Chest 1990;98:1169–1174.
Faller DV: Vascular modulation; in Embursy SH, Hebbel RP, Mohandas N (eds): Sickle Cell Disease: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice. New York, Raven Press, 1994, pp 235–243.
Masinadet S, Patel P, Sadler D: Pulmonary hypertension in sickle cell anemia. Abstr, 18th Annu Meet National SCD Program, Philadelphia, 1993, p 81a.
- Powars D, Weidman JA, Odom-Maryon T, Niland JC, Johnson C: Sickle cell chronic lung disease: prior morbidity and the risk of pulmonary failure. Medicine 1988;67:66–76.
- Gladwin MT, Sachdev V, Jison ML, Shizukuda Y, Plehn JF, Minter K, Brown B, Coles WA, Nichols JS, Ernst I, Hunter LA, Blackwelder WC, Schechter AN, Rodgers GP, Castro O, Ognibene FP: Pulmonary hypertension as a risk factor for death in patients with sickle cell disease. N Engl J Med 2004;350:886–895.
- Vanella A, Russo A, Acquaviva R, Campisi A, Di Giacomo C, Sorrenti V, Barcellona ML: L-Propionyl-carnitine as superoxide scavenger, antioxidant and DNA cleavage protection. Cell Biol Toxicol 2000;16:99–104.
- Motterlini R, Samaja M, Tarantola A, Micheletti R, Bianchi G: Functional and metabolic effects of propionyl-L-carnitine in the isolated perfused hypertrophied rat heart. Mol Cell Biochem 1992;116:139–145.
Arduini A, Dottori S, Molajoni F: Is the carnitine system part of the heart antioxidant work?; in De Jong JW, Ferrari R (eds): The Carnitine System: A New Therapeutical Approach to Cardiovascular Medicine. Dordrecht, Kluwer, 1995, pp 169–181.
- Courtois M, Kovacs S Jr, Ludbrook P: Transmitral pressure-flow velocity relation. Importance of regional pressure gradients in the left ventricle during diastole. Circulation 1988;78:661–670.
- Vasan RS, Levy D: Defining diastolic heart failure: a call for standardized diagnostic criteria. Circulation 2000;101:2118–2121.
- Oh JK, Appleton CP, Hatle LK, Nishimura RA, Seward JB, Tajik AJ: The noninvasive assessment of left ventricular diastolic function with two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 1997;10:246–270.
- Kitabatake A, Inoue M, Asao M, Masuyama T, Tanouchi J, Morita T, Mishima M, Uematsu M, Shimazu T, Hori M, Abe H: Noninvasive evaluation of pulmonary hypertension by a pulsed Doppler technique. Circulation 1983;68:302–309.
- Florenzano F, Diaz G, Regonesi C, Escobar E: Left ventricular function in chronic anemia: evidence of noncatecholamine positive inotropic factor in the serum. Am J Cardiol 1984;54:638–645.
- Cipolotti R, Costa GB, Lima WH, Franco RP, Mello EV, Dal Fabbro AL, Gurgel RQ, Cuevas LE: Echocardiographic characteristics of patients with sickle cell anaemia in Sergipe, Brazil. J Trop Pediatr 2001;47:73–76.
- Covitz W, Espeland M, Gallagher D, Hellenbrand W, Leff S, Talner N: The heart in sickle cell anemia. The Cooperative Study of Sickle Cell Disease (CSSCD). Chest 1995;108:1214–1219.
- Estrade G, Poitrineau O, Bernasconi F, Garnier D, Donatien Y: Left ventricular function and sickle cell anemia. Echocardiography study. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 1989;82:1975–1981.
- Iliceto S, Scrutinio D, Bruzzi P, D’Ambrosio G, Boni L, Di Biase M, Biasco G, Hugenholtz PG, Rizzon P: Effect of L-carnitine administration on left ventricular remodeling after acute anterior myocardial infarction: the L-Carnitine Ecocardiografia Digitalizzata Infarto Miocardico (CEDIM) Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995;26:380–387.
- Kane A, Mbengue-Dieye A, Dieye O, Sylla A, Sall G, Diouf M, Kuakuvi N: Echocardiographic aspects in pediatric patients with sickle cell disease. Arch Pediatr 2001;8:707–712.
- Mirsky I: Assessment of diastolic function: suggested methods and future considerations. Circulation 1984;69:836–841.
- Shah PM, Pai RG: Diastolic heart failure. Curr Probl Cardiol 1992;17:781–868.
- Stoddard MF, Pearson AC, Kern MJ, Ratcliff J, Mrosek DG, Labovitz AJ: Left ventricular diastolic function: comparison of pulsed Doppler echocardiographic and hemodynamic indexes in subjects with and without coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989;13:327–336.
- Appleton CP, Galloway JM, Gonzalez MS, Gaballa M, Basnight MA: Estimation of left ventricular filling pressures using two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography in adult patients with cardiac disease. Additional value of analyzing left atrial size, left atrial ejection fraction and the difference in duration of pulmonary venous and mitral flow velocity at atrial contraction. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993;22:1972–1982.
- Lewis JF, Maron BJ, Castro O, Moosa YA: Left ventricular diastolic filling abnormalities identified by Doppler echocardiography in asymptomatic patients with sickle cell anemia. J Am Coll Cardiol 1991;17:1473–1482.
- Batra AS, Acherman RJ, Wong WY, Wood JC, Chan LS, Ramicone E, Ebrahimi M, Wong PC: Cardiac abnormalities in children with sickle cell anemia. Am J Hematol 2002;70:306–312.
- Veille JC, Hanson R: Left ventricular systolic and diastolic function in pregnant patients with sickle cell disease. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994;170:107–110.
Ferrari R, Anand I: Utilization of propionyl L-carnitine for the treatment of heart failure; in De Jong JW, Ferrari R (eds): The Carnitine System: A New Therapeutical Approach to Cardiovascular Medicine. Dordrecht, Kluwer, 1995, pp 323–335.
- Tsagris V, Liapi-Adamidou G: Serum carnitine levels in patients with homozygous beta thalassemia: a possible new role for carnitine? Eur J Pediatr 2005;164:131–134.
- Tein I, De Vivo DC, Bierman F, Pulver P, De Meirleir LJ, Cvitanovic-Sojat L, Pagon RA, Bertini E, Dionisi-Vici C, Servidei S, Dimauro S: Impaired skin fibroblast carnitine uptake in primary systemic carnitine deficiency manifested by childhood carnitine-responsive cardiomyopathy. Pediatr Res 1990;28:247–255.
- El-Beshlawy A, Ragab L, Fattah AA, Ibrahim IY, Hamdy M, Makhlouf A, Aoun E, Hoffbrand V, Taher A: Improvement of cardiac function in thalassemia major treated with L-carnitine. Acta Haematol 2004;111:143–148.
- Eidem BW, McMahon CJ, Cohen RR, Wu J, Finkelshteyn I, Kovalchin JP, Ayres NA, Bezold LI, O’Brian Smith E, Pignatelli RH: Impact of cardiac growth on Doppler tissue imaging velocities: a study in healthy children. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2004;17:212–221.
- Simmons BE, Santhanam V, Castaner A, Rao KR, Sachdev N, Cooper R: Sickle cell heart disease. Two-dimensional echo and Doppler ultrasonographic findings in the hearts of adult patients with sickle cell disease. Arch Intern Med 1988;148:1526–1543.
- Simonson JS, Schiller NB: Sonospirometry: a new method for noninvasive estimation of mean right atrial pressure based on two-dimensional echographic measurements of the inferior vena cava during measured inspiration. J Am Coll Cardiol 1988;11:557–564.
- Sutton LL, Castro O, Cross DJ, Spencer JE, Lewis JF: Pulmonary hypertension in sickle cell disease. Am J Cardiol 1994;74:626–628.
- Haque AK, Gokhale S, Rampy BA, Adegboyega P, Duarte A, Saldana MJ: Pulmonary hypertension in sickle cell hemoglobinopathy: a clinicopathologic study of 20 cases. Hum Pathol 2002;33:1037–1043.
Kouttab N, Desimon T: Modulation of cytokine production of carnitine. Med Inflam 1993;11:525–558.
- Shankar SS, Mirzamohammadi B, Walsh JP, Steinberg HO: L-Carnitine may attenuate free fatty acid-induced endothelial dysfunction. Ann NY Acad Sci 2004;1033:189–197.
Bennet M, Hale D: Defects of mitochondrial beta-oxidation enzymes; in Ferrari R, DiMauro S, Sherwood G (eds): L-Carnitine and Its Role in Medicine: From Function to Therapy. London, Academic Press, 1992, pp 187–206.
Pons R, De Vivo DC: Primary and secondary carnitine deficiency syndromes. J Child Neurol 1995;10(suppl 2):S8–S24.
- Calvani M, Benatti P, Mancinelli A, D’Iddio S, Giordano V, Koverech A, Amato A, Brass EP: Carnitine replacement in end-stage renal disease and hemodialysis. Ann NY Acad Sci 2004;1033:52–66.
Atweh GF, Dover GJ, Faller DV, Stamatoyannopoulos G, Fournarakis B, Perrine SP: Sustained hematological response to pulse butyrate therapy in beta globin disorder (abstract). Blood 1996;88(suppl 1):652–661.
Donatelli A, Terrizic A, Zummo G: L-Carnitine and its role in medicine. Curr Ther Res 1987;6:620–624.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.