Pott’s Puffy Tumor: A Rare Complication of MastoiditisKhan M.A.
Department of Neurosurgery, Riyadh Medical Complex, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Pott’s puffy tumor is rarely seen in the modern era of antibiotics. It is usually seen as intracranial complication following inappropriately treated frontal sinusitis. Up until 2001 there have been only 21 pediatric cases reported in the literature and most have been secondary to frontal sinusitis. Only 1 case has been reported following a latent mastoiditis and that has been in an adult [
© 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Martin-Hirsch DP, Habashi S, Page R, Hinton AE: Latent mastoiditis: no room for complacency. J Laryngol Otol 1991;105:767–768.
- Babu RP, Todor R, Kasoff SS: Pott’s puffy tumor: the forgotten entity. J Neurosurgery 1996;84:110–112.
- Maheshwar AA, Harris DA, Al-Mokhthar N, Evans RA: Pott’s puffy tumor: an usual presentation and management. J Laryngol Otol 2001;115:497–499.
- Bambakidis NC, Cohan AR: Intracranial complications of frontal sinusitis in children: Pott’s puffy tumor revisited. Pediatr Neurosurg 2004;40:245–248.
- Virtanen PT, Makinen H: Acute and latent mastoiditis in children. J Laryngol Otol 1985;99:127–136.
- Chandy B, Todd J, Strucker FJ, Nathan CAO: Pott’s puffy tumor and epidural abscess arising from dental sepsis: a case report. Laryngoscope 2001;111:1732–1734.
- Pender ES: Pott’s puffy tumor: a complication of frontal sinusitis. Pediatr Emerg Care 1990;6:280–284.
- Lund FH: Acute and latent mastoiditis. J Laryngol Otol 1989;103:1158–1160.
- Samuel J, Fernandes CM: Otogenic complications with an intact tympanic membrane. Laryngoscope 1985;95:1387–1390.
- Paparella M, Shea D, Mayerhoff WL, Goycoolea MV: Silent otitis media. Laryngoscope 1980;90:1089–1098.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.