Aggressiveness, Anger and Eating Disorders: A ReviewTruglia E.a · Mannucci E.b · Lassi S.a · Rotella C.M.b · Faravelli C.a · Ricca V.a
aPsychiatric Unit, Department of Neuropsychiatric Sciences and bEndocrinology Unit, Department of Clinical Pathophysiology, Florence University School of Medicine, Florence, Italy
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Anger and aggressive behaviours, especially those self-directed, are frequent in subjects suffering from anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. They increase the complexity of the clinical features, change the prognosis and cause a more difficult management of these disorders. In order to elucidate the complex relationships between eating disorders, anger and aggressiveness, the history of traumatic experiences, the prevalence of dissociative, obsessive, impulsive and compulsive symptoms, as well as the role of severe personality disorders in subjects suffering from anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and self-injurious behaviours are considered. In the final section of this paper, a model exploring such a relationship in the light of the undefined sense of self is described.
© 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel
Berkowitz L: Aggression. Its Causes, Consequences and Control. New York, Mc Grew Hill, 1993.
Rorschach H: Psychodiagnostik: Methodik und Ergebnisse eines wahrnehmungsdiagnostischen Experiments. Bern, Birchen, 1921.
- Rosenzweig S: Validity of Picture-Frustration Study with felons and delinquents. J Consult Psychol 1963;27:535–536.
Caine TM, Foulds GA, Hope K: Manual of Hostility and Direction of Hostility Questionnaire. London, University of London Press, 1967.
- Yudofsky SC, Silver MJ, Jackson W, Endicott J, Williams D: The Overt Aggression Scale for objective rating of verbal and physical aggression. Am J Psychiatry 1986;143:35–39.
- Barratt ES, Stanford MS, Felthous AR, Kent TA: The effects of phenytoin on impulsive and premeditated aggression: a controlled study. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1997;17:341–349.
- Bushman BJ, Anderson CA: Is it time to pull the plug on the hostile versus instrumental aggression dichotomy? Psychol Rev 2001;108:273–279.
- Blair RJ: Neurocognitive models of aggression, the antisocial personality disorders, and psychopathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001;71:727–731.
- Miczek KA, Fish EW, De Bold JF, De Almeida RM: Social and neural determinants of aggressive behavior: pharmacotherapeutic targets at serotonin, dopamine and gamma-aminobutyric acid systems. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2002;163:434–458.
- Schwann AC: Neuroreceptor mechanisms of aggression and its treatment. J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64(suppl 4):26–35.
- Buchanan A, Reed A, Wessely S, Garety P, Taylor P, Grubin D, Dunn G: Acting on delusion. 2. The phenomenological correlates of acting on delusions. Br J Psychiatry 1993;163:77–81.
- Scarpa A, Raine A: Psychophysiology of anger and violent behavior. Psychiatr Clin North Am 1997;20:375–394.
Beck AT: Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders. New York, International Universities Press, 1976.
Spielberg CD: State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory: Professional Manual. Odessa, Psychological Assessment Resources, 1995.
- Simeon D, Stein DJ, Hollander E: Depersonalization disorder and self-injurious behavior. J Clin Psychiatry 1995;56(Suppl 4):36–40.
- Offer DO, Barglow P: Adolescent and young adult self-mutilation in the general population of a psychiatry hospital. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1960;3:194–204.
- Graf H, Mallin R: The syndrome of the wrist cutter. Am J Psychiatry 1967;124:36–42.
- Grunembaum HU, Klerman GL: Wrist-slashing. Am J Psychiatry 1967;124:527–534.
- Pao PE: The syndrome of delicate self-cutting. Br J Med Psychol 1969;42:195–206.
- Morgan HJ, Burns-Cox CJ, Pocock H, Pottle S: Deliberate self-harm: clinical and socio-economic characteristics of 368 patients. Br J Psychiatry 1975;127:564–574.
- Pattison EM, Kahan J: The deliberate self-harm syndrome. Am J Psychiatry 1983;140:867–872.
Walsh BW, Rosen PM: Self-Mutilation: Theory, Research and Treatment. New York, Guilford, 1988.
- Favazza AR, Rosenthal RJ: Diagnostic issues in self-mutilation. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1993;44:134–140.
- Jacobs BW, Isaacs S: Pre-pubertal anorexia nervosa: a retrospective controlled study. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1986;27:237–250.
- Favaro A, Santonastaso P: Impulsive and compulsive self-injurious behavior in bulimia nervosa: prevalence and psychological correlates. J Nerv Ment Dis 1998;186:157–165.
- Zlotnick C, Mattia JI, Zimmerman M: Clinical correlates of self-mutilations in a sample of general psychiatric patients. J Nerv Ment Dis 1999;187:296–301.
- Favaro A, Santonastaso P: Different types of self-injurious behavior in bulimia nervosa. Compr Psychiatry 1999;40:57–60.
- Favaro A, Santonastaso P: Self-injurious behavior in anorexia nervosa. J Nerv Ment Dis 2000;188:537–542.
- Claes L, Vandereyken W, Vertommen H: Self-injurious behaviors in eating-disordered patients. Eat Behav 2001;2:263–272.
- Paul T, Schroeter K, Dahme B, Nutzinger DO: Self-injurious behavior in women with eating disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:408–411.
- Claes L, Vandereycken W, Vertommen H: Personality traits in eating-disordered patients with and without self-injurious behaviors. J Personal Disord 2004;18:399–404.
- Stein D, Lilenfeld LRR, Wildman PC, Marcus MD: Attempted suicide in patients diagnosed with eating disorders. Compr Psychiatry 2004;45:447–451.
Favazza AR, Simeon D: Self-mutilation; in Hollander E, Stein DJ (eds): Impulsivity and Aggression. Sussex, Wiley, 1995.
Rosenthal RJ, Rinzler C, Wallsh R, Klausner E: Wrist-cutting syndrome: the meaning of a gesture. Am J Psychiatry 1972;128:163–168.
- Simpson CA, Porter GL: Self-mutilation in children and adolescents. Bull Menninger Clin 1981;45:428–438.
- Sachsse U: Overt self-injury. Psychother Psychosom 1994;62:82–90.
- Herpetz S, Sass H: Impulsivität und Impulskontrolle: Zur psychologischen Konzeptionalisierung. Nervenarzt 1997;68:171–183.
- Pfeffer CR, Newcorn J, Kaplan G, Mizruchi MS, Plutchik R: Subtypes of suicidal and assaultive behaviors in adolescent psychiatric inpatients: a research note. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1989;30:151–163.
Bruch H: Eating Disorders, Obesity, Anorexia nervosa and the Person within. New York, Basic Books, 1973.
Crisp A: Some aspects of the psychopathology of anorexia nervosa; in Darby P, Garfinkel P, Garner D, Coscina D (eds): Anorexia nervosa – Recent Development in Research. New York, Liss, 1983.
- Fava M, Rappe SM, West J, Herzog DB: Anger attacks in eating disorders. Psychiatry Res 1995;56:205–212.
- Cotrufo P, Monteleone P, d’Istria M, Fuschino A, Serino I, Maj M: Aggressive behavioral characteristics and endogenous hormones in women with bulimia nervosa. Neuropsychobiology 2000;42:58–61.
- Waller DA, Sheinberg AL, Gullion C, Moeller FG, Cannon DS, Petty E, Hardy F, Orsulak P, Rush AJ: Impulsivity and neuroendocrine response to buspirone in bulimia nervosa. Biol Psychiatry 1996;39:371–374.
- Thompson KM, Wonderlich SA, Crosby RD, Mitchell JE: The neglected link between eating disturbances and aggressive behavior in girls. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1999;38:1277–1284.
- Miotto P, De Coppi M, Frezza M, Petretto DR, Masala C, Preti A: Eating disorders and aggressiveness among adolescents. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2003;108:183–189.
- Hatsukami D, Owen P, Pyle R, Mitchell J: Similarities and differences on the MMPI between women with bulimia and women with alcohol or drug abuse. Addict Behav 1982;7:435–439.
- Brunner RL, Maloney MJ, Daniels S, Mays W, Farrel M: A controlled study of type A behavior and psychophysiologic responses to stress in anorexia nervosa. Psychiatry Res 1989;30:223–230.
- Rebert WM, Stanton AL, Schwarz RM: Influence of personality attributes and daily mood on bulimic eating patients. Addict Behav 1991;16:497–505.
- Smith JE, Hillard MC, Roll S: Rorschach evaluation of adolescent bulimics. Adolescence 1991;26:687–696.
- Fassino S, Daga GA, Piero A, Leombruni P, Rovera GG: Anger and personality in eating disorders. J Psychosom Res 2001;51:757–764.
- Waller G, Babbs M, Milligan R, Meyer C, Ohanian V, Leung N: Anger and core beliefs in the eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord 2003;34:118–124.
- Lenihan GO, Kirk WG: Personality characteristics of eating-disordered outpatients as measured by the Hand Test. J Pers Assess 1990;55:350–361.
- Wilbur CJ, Colligan RC: Psychologic and behavioral correlates of anorexia nervosa. J Dev Behav Pediatr 1981;2:89–92.
- Tiller J, Schmidt U, Ali S, Treasure J: Patterns of punitiveness in women with eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord 1995;17:365–371.
- Horesh N, Zalsman G, Apter A: Internalized anger, self-control, and mastery experience in inpatient anorexic adolescents. J Psychosom Res 2000;49:247–253.
- Geller J, Cockell SJ, Hewitt PL, Goldner EM, Flett GL: Inhibited expression of negative emotions and interpersonal orientation in anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord 2000;28:8–19.
- Fahy T, Eisler I: Impulsivity and eating disorders. Br J Psychiatry 1993;162:193–197.
- Fassino S, Leombruni P, Piero A, Abbate-Daga G, Giacomo Rovera GJ: Mood, eating attitudes, and anger in obese women with and without binge eating disorder. Psychosom Res 2003;54:559–566.
- Abraham SF, Beumont PJV: How patients describe bulimia or binge eating. Psychol Med 1982;12:625–635.
- Arnow B, Kenardy J, Agras WS: Binge eating among the obese: a descriptive study. J Behav Med 1992;15:155–170.
- Meyer C, Leung N, Waller G, Perkins S, Paice N, Mitchell: Anger and bulimic psychopathology: gender differences in a nonclinical group. J Int J Eat Disord 2004;37:69–71.
- Milligan RJ, Waller G: Anger and bulimic psychopathology among nonclinical women. Int J Eat Disord 2000;28:446–450.
- Vaz FJ, Peñas EM, Ramos MI, Lopez-Ibor JJ, Gudson JA, Guisado JA: Subtype criteria for bulimia nervosa: short- versus long-term compensatory behaviours. Eat Disord 2001;9:301–311.
Favazza AR: Bodies under Siege: Self-Mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996.
- Favazza AR: The coming of age of self-mutilation. J Nerv Ment Dis 1998;186:259–269.
- Valois RF, MacDonald JM, Bretous L, Fischer MA, Drane JW: Risk factors and behaviors associated with adolescent violence and aggression. Am J Health Behav 2002;26:454–464.
- Vanderlinden J, Vandereycken W, van Dyck R, Vertommen H: Dissociative experiences and trauma in eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord 1993;13:187–193.
- Vanderlinden J, Vandereycken W: Is sexual abuse a risk factor for developing an eating disorder? Eat Disord 1993;1:282–286.
- Berger D, Saito S, Ono Y, Tezuka I, Shirahase J, Kuboki T, Suematsu H: Dissociation and child abuse histories in an eating disorder cohort in Japan. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1994;90:274–280.
Vanderlinden J, Vandereycken W: Trauma, Dissociation and Impulse Discontrol in Eating Disorders. Bristol, Brunner/Mazel, 1996.
- Santonastaso P, Favaro A, Olivotto MC, Friederici S: Dissociative experiences and eating disorders in a female college sample. Psychopathology 1997;30:170–176.
- Favaro A, Dalle Grave R, Santonastaso P: Impact of a history of physical and sexual abuse in eating disordered and asymptomatic subjects. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1998;97:358–363.
- Brown L, Russell J, Thornton C, Dunn S: Dissociation, abuse and the eating disorders: evidence from an Australian population. Aust NZ J Psychiatry 1999;33:521–528.
- Striegel-Moore RH, Dohm FA, Pike KM, Wilfley DE, Fairburn CG: Abuse, bullying, and discrimination as risk factors for binge eating disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:1902–1907.
- Leonard S, Steiger H, Kao A: Childhood and adulthood abuse in bulimic and nonbulimic women: prevalences and psychological correlates. Int J Eat Disord 2003;33:397–405.
- Zoroglu SS, Tuzun U, Sar V, Tutkun H, Savacs HA, Ozturk M, Alyanak B, Kora ME: Psychiatry suicide attempt and self-mutilation among Turkish high school students in relation with abuse, neglect and dissociation. Clin Neurosci 2003;57:119–126.
- Matsumoto T, Azekawa T, Yamaguchi A, Asami T, Iseki E: Habitual self-mutilation in Japan. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2004;58:191–198.
- Pope HJ Jr, Hudson JI: Is childhood sexual abuse a risk factor for bulimia nervosa? Am J Psychiatry 1992;149:455–463.
- Welch SL, Fairburn CG: Sexual abuse and bulimia nervosa: three integrated case control comparisons. Am J Psychiatry 1994;151:402–407.
- Everill JT, Waller G: Reported sexual abuse and eating psychopathology: a review of evidence for a casual link. Int J Eat Disord 1995;18:1–11.
- Hudson IJ, Pope HG, Jonas JM, Yurgelun-Todd D: Phenomenologic relationship of eating disorders to major affective disorders. Psychiatr Res 1983;9:345–354.
- Laessle RG, Kittl S, Fichter MM, Wittchen HU, Pirke KM: Major affective disorder in anorexia nervosa and bulimia. A descriptive diagnostic study. Br J Psychiatry 1987;151:785–789.
- Piran N, Lerner P, Garfinkel PE, Kennedy PE, Brouillette C: Personality disorders in anorexic patients. Int J Eat Disord 1988;7:589–599.
- Powers PS, Coovert DL, Brightwell DR, Stevens BA: Other psychiatric disorders among bulimic patients. Compr Psychiatry 1988;29:503–508.
- Gartner AF, Marcus RN, Halmi K, Loranger AW: DSM-III-R personality disorders in patients with eating disorders. Am J Psychiatry 1989;146:1585–1591.
- Yates WR, Sieleni B, Reich J, Brass C: Comorbidity of bulimia nervosa and personality disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 1989;50:57–59.
- Keck PE, Pope HG, Hudson JI, McElroy SL, Yurgelun-Todd D, Hundert EM: A controlled study of phenomenology and family history in outpatients with bulimia nervosa. Compr Psychiatry 1990;31:275–283.
- Kennedy SH, McVey G, Katz R: Personality disorders in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. J Psychiatr Res 1990;24:259–269.
- Halmi KA, Eckert E, Marchi P, Sampugnaro V, Apple R, Cohen J: Comorbidity of psychiatric diagnoses in anorexia nervosa. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1991;48:712–718.
- Ames-Frankel J, Devlin MJ, Walsh BT, Strasser TJ, Sadik C, Oldham JM, Roose SP: Personality disorder diagnoses in patients with bulimia nervosa: clinical correlates and changes with treatment. J Clin Psychiatry 1992;53:90–96.
- Thiel A, Broocks A, Ohlmeier M, Jacoby GE, Schussler G: Obsessive-compulsive disorder among patients with anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry 1995;152:72–75.
- Thornton C, Russel J: Obsessive-compulsive comorbidity in the dieting disorders. Int J Eat Disord 1995;21:83–87.
- Lennkh C, Strnad A, Bailer U, Biener D, Fodor G, de Zwaan M: Comorbidity of obsessive compulsive disorder in patients with eating disorders. Eat Weight Disord 1998;3:37–41.
- Lacey JH, Evans C: The impulsivists: a multi-impulsivity personality disorder. Br J Addict 1986;81:641–649.
- Lacey JH: Self-damaging and addictive behavior in bulimia nervosa: a catchment area study. Br J Psychiatry 1993;163:190–194.
- Herpetz S: Self-injurious behavior: psychopathological and nosological characteristics in subtypes of self-injurers. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1995;91:57–68.
- Welch SL, Fairburn CG: Impulsivity or comorbidity in bulimia nervosa. A controlled study of deliberate self-harm and alcohol misuse in a community sample. Br J Psychiatry 1996;169:451–458.
- Favazza AR, Conterio K: Female habitual self-mutilators. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1989;79:283–289.
Wiederman MW, Pyror T: Multi-impulsivity among women with bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord 1996;4:389–394.
- Lacey JH, Read TRC: Multi-impulsive bulimia: description of an inpatient eclectic treatment programme and a pilot follow-up study of its efficacy. Eat Disord Rev 1993;1:22–31.
- Newton JR, Freeman CP, Munro J: Impulsivity and discontrol in bulimia nervosa: is impulsivity an independent phenomenon or a marker of severity? Acta Psychiatr Scand 1993;87:389–394.
- Fichter MM, Quadflieg N, Rief W: Course of multi-impulsive bulimia. Psychol Med 1994;24:591–604.
- Lyke JA, Spinella M: Association among aspects of impulsivity and eating factors in a nonclinical sample. Int J Eat Disord 2004;36:229–233.
- Wonderlich SA, Connolly KM, Stice E: Impulsivity as a risk factor for eating behavior: assessment implications with adolescents. Int J Eat Disord 2004;36:172–182.
- Kaltiala-Heino R, Rissanen A, Rimpelä M, Rantenon P: Bulimia and impulsive behaviour in middle adolescence. Psychother Psychosom 2003;72:26–33.
- Dawe S, Loxton NJ: The role of impulsivity in the development of substance use and eating disorders. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2004;28:343–351.
- Youssef G, Plancherel B, Laget J, Corcos M, Flament MF, Halfon O: Personality trait risk factors for attempted suicide among young women with eating disorders. Eur Psychiatry 2004;19:131–139.
- Milos G, Spindler A, Hepp U, Schnyder U: Suicide attempts and suicidal ideation: links with psychiatric comorbidity in eating disorder subjects. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2003;26:129–135.
- Franko DL, Keel PK, Dorer DJ, Blais MA, Delinsky SS, Eddy KT, Charat V, Renn R, Herzog DB: What predicts suicide attempts in women with eating disorders? Psychol Med 2004;34:843–853.
American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, ed 4. Washington, American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- Gwirstman HE, Roy-Byrne P, Yager J, Gerner RH: Neuroendocrine abnormalities in bulimia. Am J Psychiatry 1983;140:559–563.
- Levin AP, Hyler SE: DSM-III personality diagnosis in bulimia. Compr Psychiatry 1986;27:47–53.
- Pope HJ Jr, Frankenburg FR, Hudson JI, Jonas JM, Yurgelun-Todd D: Is bulimia nervosa associated with borderline personality disorder? A controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry 1987;48:181–184.
- Cooper JL, Morrison TL, Bigman TL, Abramovitz SI, Blunden D, Nassi A, Krener P: Bulimia and borderline personality disorder. Int J Eat Disord 1988;7:43–49.
- Yager J, Landsverk J, Edelstein CK, Hyler SE: Screening for axis II personality disorders in women with bulimic eating disorders. Psychosomatics 1989;30:255–262.
- Johnson C, Tobin D, Enright A: Prevalence and clinical characteristics of borderline patients in eating-disordered population. J Clin Psychiatry 1989;50:9–15.
- Sansone RA, Fine MA, Seuferer S, Bovenzi J: The prevalence of borderline personality symptomatology among women with eating disorders. J Clin Psychol 1989;45:603–610.
- Kennedy SH, Mc Vey G, Katz R: Personality disorders in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. J Psychiatr Res 1990;24:259–269.
Zanarini MC, Frankeburg FR, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Yurgelun-Todd D, Cicchetti CJ: Axis II comorbidity of normal weight bulimia. Compr Psychiatry 1990;30:30–34.
- Herzog DB, Keller MB, Lavori PV, Kenny GM, Sacks NR: The prevalence of personality disorders in 210 women with eating disorders. J Clin Psychiatry 1992;53:147–152.
- Simeon D, Stanley B, Frances A, Mann JJ, Winchel R, Stanley M: Self-mutilation in personality disorders: psychological and biological correlates. Am J Psychiatry 1992;149:221–226.
- Koepp W, Schildbach S, Schmager C, Rohner R: Borderline diagnosis and substance abuse in female patients with eating disorders. Int J Eat Disord 1993;14:107–110.
- Herzog T, Stiewe M, Sandholz A, Hartmann A: Borderline syndrome and eating disorders. Review of literature and interview study of 172 consecutive patients of the Freiburg Eating Disorders Outpatients Clinic. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol 1995;45:97–108.
- Modestin J, Oberson B, Erni T: Possible correlate of DSM-III personality disorders. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1997;96:424–430.
- Zanarini MC, Frankenburg FR, Dubo ED, Sickel AE, Trikha A, Levin A, Reynolds V: Axis I comorbidity of borderline personality disorder. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:1733–1739.
- Marino MF, Zanarini MC: Relationship between EDNOS and its subtypes and borderline personality disorder. Int J Eat Disord 2001;29:349–353.
- Favazza AR, De Rosear L, Conterio K: Self-mutilation and eating disorders. Suicide Life Threat Behav 1989;19:352–361.
- Yaryura-Tobias JA, Neziroglu FA, Kaplan S: Self-mutilation, anorexia, and dysmenorrhea in obsessive compulsive disorder. Int J Eat Disord 1995;17:33–38.
- Cross L: Body and self in feminine development: implication for eating disorders and delicate self-mutilation. Bull Menninger Clin 1993;57:41–68.
- Brown MZ, Comtois KA, Linehan MM: Reasons for suicide attempts and nonsuicidal self-injury in women with borderline personality disorder. J Abnorm Psychol 2002;111:198–202.
- Kemperman I, Russ MJ, Shearin E: Self-injurious behavior and mood regulation in borderline patients. J Personal Disord 1997;11:146–157.
- Winchel RM, Stanley M: Self-injurious behavior: a review of behavior and biology of self-mutilation. Am J Psychiatry 1991;148:306–317.
- Huether G: The central adaptation syndrome: psychosocial stress as a trigger for adaptive modifications of brain structure and brain function. Prog Neurobiol 1996;48:596–612.
- Sachsse U, Von der Heyde S, Huether G: Stress regulation and self-mutilation. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:672.
- Keel PK, Mitchell JE: Outcome in bulimia nervosa. Am J Psychiatry 1997;154:313–321.
- Derogatis LR, Lipman R, Rickels K, Uhlenhath E, Covi L: The Hopkins Symptoms Check List (HSCL): a self-report symptom inventory. Behav Sci 1974;19:1–15.
- Garner DM, Olmstead MP, Polivy J: Development and validation of a multidimensional Eating Disorder Inventory for anorexia nervosa and bulimia. Int J Eat Disord 1983;21:15–35.
- Cloninger CR: A systematic method for clinical description and classification of personality variants. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1987;44:573–588.
- Penas-Lledo E, Vaz FJ, Ramos MI, Waller G: Impulsive behaviors in bulimic patients: relation to general psychopathology. Int J Eat Disord 2002;32:98–110.
- van der Kolk BA, Fisler RE: Childhood abuse and neglect and loss of self-regulation. Bull Menninger Clin 1994;58:145–168.
Linehan M: Cognitive-Behavioural Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. New York, Guilford Press, 1993.
- Stanghellini G: Dysphoria, vulnerability and identity. An eulogy of anger. Psychopathology 2000;33:198–203.
- Stanghellini G: The doublets of anger. Psychopathology 2000;33:155–158.
Guidano VF: Complexity of the Self. New York, Guilford Press, 1987.
Guidano VF: The Self in Process. New York, Guilford Press, 1991.
- Bruch H: Perceptual and conceptual disturbances in anorexia nervosa. Psychosom Med 1962;24:187–194.
Bruch H: The changing picture of an illness: anorexia nervosa; in Sacksteder JL, Schawartz DP, Achabane Y (eds): Attachment and the Therapeutic Process. Medison, International University Press, 1987.
Selvini Palazzoli M: L’anoressia mentale dalla terapia individuale alla terapia familiare. Milano, Feltrinelli, 1963.
Garner DM, Dalle Grave R: Terapia cognitivo-comportamentale dei disturbi dell’alimentazione. Verona, Positive Press, 1999.
Hall CS, Lindey G: Theories of Personality. New York, Wiley, 1970.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.