Renal Doppler Sonography – Update in Clinical NephrologyKrumme B.
Deutsche Klinik für Diagnostik, Fachbereich Nephrologie und Hypertensiologie, Wiesbaden, Germany
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
These days renal Doppler sonography has been established as a diagnostic tool of the daily nephrological work-up. Extra- and intrarenal flow signals are obtained for different indications. The intrarenal resistive index is the best examined parameter in the literature. However, the results have to be carefully interpreted, because different hemodynamic factors, such as heart rate, stiffness of the aorta as well as observer-dependent factors may have an impact on the level of the resistive index. The value of this non-invasive technique is discussed in detail for different renal diseases, such as acute and chronic renal failure, renal artery stenosis and for patients after renal transplantation. Being aware of several pitfalls which may lead to false results, nephrologists may use renal Doppler sonography as the first screening method of choice in the diagnostic algorithm.
© 2006 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Moghazi S, Jones E, Schroepple J, Arya K, McClellan W, Hennigar R, O’Neill WC: Correlation of renal histopathology with sonographic findings. Kidney Int 2005;67:1515–1520.
- Avasthi PS, Voyles WF, Greene ER: Noninvasive diagnosis of renal artery stenosis by echo-Doppler velocimetry. Kidney Int 1984;25:824–829.
- Tublin ME, Bude RO, Platt JF: The resistive index in renal Doppler sonography: where do we stand? AJR Am J Roentgenol 2003;180:885–892.
- Mostbeck GH, Gossinger HD, Mallek R, Siostrzonek P, Schneider B, Tscholakoff D: Effect of heart rate on Doppler measurements of resistive index in renal arteries. Radiology 1990;175:511–513.
- Wollenberg K, Waibel B, Pisarski P, Rump LC, Kirste G, Krumme B: Careful clinical monitoring in comparison to sequential Doppler sonography for the detection of acute rejection in the early phase after renal transplantation. Transpl Int 2000;13(suppl 1):S45–S51.
- Takano R, Ando Y, Taniguchi N, Itoh K, Asano Y: Power Doppler sonography of the kidney: effect of Valsalva’s maneuver. J Clin Ultrasound 2001;29:384–388.
- Bude RO, Rubin JM: Relationship between the resistive index and vascular compliance and resistance. Radiology 1999;211:411–417.
- Krumme B, Grotz W, Kirste G, Schollmeyer P, Rump LC: Determinants of intrarenal Doppler indices in stable allografts. J Am Soc Nephrol 1997;8:813–816.
- Radermacher J, Mengel M, Ellis S, Stuht S, Hiss M, Schwarz A, Eisenberger U, Burg M, Luft F, Gwinner W, Haller H: The renal arterial resistance index and renal allograft survival. N Engl J Med 2003;349:115–124.
- Heine GH, Gerhart MK, Ulrich C, Kohler H, Girndt M: Renal Doppler resistance indices are associated with systemic atherosclerosis in kidney transplant recipients. Kidney Int 2005;68:878–885.
- Krumme B, Keller T, Bohler J, Mettang T, Schwenger V: Intrarenal resistance index and pulsatility index of transplanted kidneys depend on the vascular stiffness of the transplant recipients (abstract). Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005;20:193–194.
- Radermacher J, Ellis S, Haller H: Renal resistance index and progression of renal disease. Hypertension 2002;39:699–703.
- Mostbeck G, Kain R, Mallek R, Derfler K, Walter R, Havelec L, Tschokaloff D: Duplex Doppler sonography in renal parenchymal disease. J Ultrasound Med 1991;10:189–194.
McDermott R, Teefe S Middleton W: The resistive index in renal parenchymal disease: no correlation with histopathologic findings (abstract). Radiology 2001;217:560.
- Platt J, Rubin J, Ellis J: Distinction between obstructive and nonobstructive pyelocaliectasis with duplex Doppler sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1989;153:997–1000.
- Shokeir AA, Abdulmaaboud M: Resistive index in renal colic: a prospective study. BJU Int 1999;83:378–382.
- Opdenakker L, Oyen R, Vervloessem I: Acute obstruction of the renal collecting system: the intrarenal resistive index is a useful yet time-dependent parameter for diagnosis. Eur Radiol 1998;8:1429–1432.
- Patriquin H, O’Regan S, Robitaille P, Paltiel H: Hemolytic-uremic syndrome: intrarenal arterial Doppler patterns as a useful guide to therapy. Radiology 1989;172:625–628.
- Kastelan S, Ljubicic N, Kastelan Z, Ostojic R, Uravic M: The role of duplex-Doppler ultrasonography in the diagnosis of renal dysfunction and hepatorenal syndrome in patients with liver cirrhosis. Hepatogastroenterology 2004;51:1408–1412.
Schwertfeger E, Donauer J, Krumme B: Doppler sonography for the grading of renal artery stenosis (abstract). J Am Soc Nephrol 1999;10:A1871.
- Krumme B, Blum U, Schwertfeger E, Flügel P, Hölstin F, Schollmeyer P, Rump LC: Diagnosis of renovascular disease by intra- and extrarenal Doppler scanning. Kidney Int 1996;50:1288–1292.
- Radermacher J, Chavan A, Bleck J, Vitzthum A, Stoess B, Gebel MJ, Galanski M, Koch KM, Haller H: Use of Doppler ultrasonography to predict the outcome of therapy for the renal artery stenosis. N Engl J Med 2001;344:410–417.
- Gottlieb RH, Snitzer EL, Hartley DF, Fultz PJ, Rubens DJ: Interobserver and intraobserver variation in determining intrarenal parameters by Doppler sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1997;168:627–631.
- Demirpolat G, Ozbek SS, Parildar M, Oran I, Memis A: Reliability of intrarenal Doppler sonographic parameters of renal artery stenosis. J Clin Ultrasound 2003;31:346–351.
- Frauchiger B, Zierler R, Bergelin RO, Isaacson JA, Strandness: Prognostic significance of intrarenal resistance indices in patients with renal artery interventions: a preliminary duplex sonographic study. Cardiovascular Surg 1996;4:324–330.
- Zeller T, Muller C, Frank U, Burgelin K, Horn B, Schwarzwalder U, Cook-Bruns N, Neumann FJ: Stent angioplasty of severe atherosclerotic ostial renal artery stenosis in patients with diabetes mellitus nephrosclerosis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2003;58:510–515.
- Krumme B, Blum U: Renal artery aneurysm and fibromuscular dysplasia. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997;12:1067–1069.
Voiculescu A, Hollenbeck M, Plum J, Hetzel GR, Mödder U, Sandmann W, Grabensee B: Iliac artery stenosis proximal to a kidney transplant: clinical findings, duplex-sonographic criteria, treatment, and outcome. Transpl Int 2003;76:332–339.
- Dupont PJ, Dooldeniya M, Cook T, Warrens AN: Role of duplex Doppler sonography in diagnosis of acute allograft dysfunction-time to stop measuring the resistive index? Transpl Int 2003;16:648–652.
- Hollenbeck M, Hetzel GR, Hilbert N, Meusel F, Willers R, Grabensee B: Doppler sonographic evaluation of the effectiveness of an antirejection treatment after kidney transplantation. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 1995;120:277–282.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.