Paediatric Salivary Gland Epithelial NeoplasmsBradley P. · McClelland L. · Mehta D.
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Do you have an account?
- Rent for 48h to view
- Buy Cloud Access for unlimited viewing via different devices
- Synchronizing in the ReadCube Cloud
- Printing and saving restrictions apply
Rental: USD 8.50
Cloud: USD 20.00
Article / Publication Details
Salivary gland epithelial neoplasms in children are rare. Clinicians of all disciplines need to have a high level of suspicion when a non-inflammatory single mass lesion presents in the parotid or submandibular glands. There is high likelihood of malignancy when such a mass presents. Surgery is the primary treatment of choice in the majority of cases, with the addition of adjuvant radiotherapy ± chemotherapy when the diagnosis is a high-grade tumour and/or when the malignancy presents as a large mass or is associated with local tissue invasion. Minor salivary gland neoplasms also present, the oral cavity is most frequent, with pleomorphic adenoma and mucoepidermoid carcinoma being most common, other malignant neoplasms have been reported in other sites.
© 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Bentz BG, Hughes A, Ludemann P, Maddalozzo J: Masses of the salivary gland region in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000;126:1435–1439.
- Callender DL, Frankenthaler RA, Luna MA, Lee SS, Goepfert H: Salivary gland neoplasms in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1992;118:472–476.
- Ethuandan M, Ethunandan A, Macpherson D, Conroy B, Pratt C: Parotid neoplasms in children: experience of diagnosis and management in a district general hospital. Int J Oral Maxillfac Surg 2003;32:373–377.
- Shikhani AH, Johns ME: Tumors of the major salivary glands in children. Head Neck Surg 1988;10:257–262.
- Ogata H, Ebihara S, Mukai K: Salivary gland neoplasms in children. Jpn J Clin Oncol 1994;24:88–93.
- Kessler A, Handler SD: Salivary gland neoplasms in children: a 10 year survey at The Children’s hospital of Philadelphia. Int J Paediatr Otolaryngol 1994;29:195–202.
- Yu GY, Li ZL, Ma DQ, Zhang Y: Diagnosis and treatment of epithelial salivary gland tumours in children and adolescents. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002;40:389–392.
- Ribeiro K, Kowalski LP, Saba LM, de Camargo B: Epithelial salivary glands neoplasms in children and adolescents; a forty-four year experience. Med Pediatr Oncol 2002;39:594–600.
- Guzzo M, Ferrari A, Marcon I, Collini P, Gandola L, Pizzi N, Casanova M, Mattavelli F, Scaramellini G: Salivary gland neoplasms in children: the experience of the Istituto Nazionale Tumori of Milan. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2006;47:806–810.
- Bull PD: Salivary gland neoplasia in childhood. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1999;49(suppl 1):s235–s238.
Woolley AL: Salivary gland diseases in children. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1996;4:385–391.
- Hockstein NG, Samadi DS, Gendron K, Carpentieri D, Wetmore RF: Pediatric submandibular triangle masses; a fifteen year experience. Head Neck 2004;26:675–680.
- Orvidas LJ, Kasperbauer JL, Lewis JE, Olsen KD, Lesncik TG: Pediatric parotid mass. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000;126:177–184.
- Myer CM, Cotton RT: Salivary gland diseases in children; a review. II. Congenital lesions and neoplastic disease. Clin Paediatr 1986;25:353–357.
- Baker SR, Malone B: Salivary gland malignancies in children. Cancer 1985;55:1730–1736.
Bradley PJ: Epidemiology-statistics in a defined UK population; in McGurk M, Renehan A (eds): Controversies in the Management of Salivary Gland Disease. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2001, pp 3–12.
Gustafssen H, Dahlquist A, Anniko M, Carlsoo B: Mucoepidermoid carcinoma in a minor salivary gland in childhood. J Laryngol Otol 1987;101:1320–1323.
- Jorge J, Piers FR, Alves FA, Perez DE, Kowalski LP, Lopes MA, Almeida OP: Juvenile intraoral pleomorphic adenoma; report of five cases and review of the literature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002;31:273–275.
- Caccamese JF, Ord RA: Paediatric mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the palate. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002;31:136–139.
Winslow CP, Batuello S, Chan K: Pediatric mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the minor salivary glands. Ear Nose Throat J 1997;77:390–395.
- De Campora E, Croce A, Bicciolo G, Radici M: Adenoid cystic carcinoma (cylindroma) of the pyriform sinus in pediatric age. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1987;14:235–242.
- Javadi M, Bafrouee FM, Mohseni M, Asghari A: Laryngeal adenoid cystic carcinoma in a child: a case report. Ear Nose Throat J 2002;81:34–35.
- Carrat X, Devars F, Deminiere C, Renard JC, Pescio P, Traissac L: Vallecular acinic cell carcinoma in a 9 year old girl: report of an unusual case. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000;52:61–64.
- Morgan DW, Pearman K, Raafat F, Oates J, Campbell J: Salivary disease in childhood. Ear Nose Throat 1989;68:155–159.
Bradley PJ: Salivary gland disorders in children; in Kerr A (ed): Scott-Brown’s Otolaryngology, ed 6. Oxford, Butterworth Heinemann, chapter 32, 1997, pp 6/32/1–6/32/14.
- Myer CM, Cotton RT: Salivary gland diseases in children; a review. I. Acquired non-neoplastic disease. Clin Paediatr 1986;25:314–322.
- Danielides V, Patrikakos G, Moerman M, Bonte K, Dhooge C, Vermeersch H: Diagnosis, management and surgical treatment of non-tuberculous mycobacterial head and neck infection in children. ORL 2002;64:284–289.
- Evans AK, Cunningham MJ: Atypical mycobacterial cervicofacial lymphadenitis in children: a disease as old as mankind, yet a persistent challenge. Am J Otolaryngology 2005;25:337–343.
- Pirouzmanesh A, Reinisch JF, Gonzalez-Gomez I, Smith EM, Meara JG: Pilomatrixoma: a review of 346 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg 2003;112:1784–1789.
- Conley J, Tinsley PP: Treatment and prognosis of mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the paediatric age group. Arch Otolaryngol 1985;111:322–324.
- Frable MA, Frable WJ: Fine needle aspiration biopsy of salivary glands. Laryngoscope 1991;101:245–249.
- Garcia CJ, Flores PA, Arce JD, Chuaqui B, Schwertz DS: Ultrasonography in the study of salivary gland lesions in children. Pediatr Radiol 1998;28:418–425.
- Lowe LH, Stokes LS, Johnson JE, Heller RM, Royal SA, Wushensky C, Hernanz-Schulman M: Swelling at the angle of the mandible: imaging of the paediatric gland and periparotid region. Radiographics 2001;21:1211–1227.
- Tortoledo ME, Luna MA, Batsakis JG: Carcinomas ex pleomorphic adenoma and malignant mixed tumors. Arch Otolaryngol 1984;110:172–176.
- Batsakis JG, Mackay B, Ryke AF, Seifert RW: Perinatal salivary gland tumors (embryomas). J Laryngol Otol 1988;102:1007–1011.
- Som PM, Brandwein M, Silver AR, Rothschild MA: Sialoblastoma (embryoma): MR findings of a rare pediatric salivary gland tumour. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1997;18:847–850.
- Goode RK, Auclair PL, Ellis GL: Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the major salivary glands. Cancer 1998;82:1217–1224.
- Kaste SC, Hedlund G, Pratt CB: Malignant parotid tumors in patients previously treated for childhood cancer: clinical and imaging findings in eight cases. AJR 1994;162:655–659.
- Rogers DA, Rao BN, Bowman L, Neysha M, Fleming ID: Primary malignancy of the salivary gland in children. J Paediatr Surg 1994;29:44–47.
- Henze M, Hittel JP: Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands after high dose radiotherapy. Laryngorhinootologie 2001;80:253–256.
- Berridge DC, Hitchcock A, Bradley PJ, Kapila L: Second primary tumour following retinoblastoma. J Laryngol Otol 1989;103:690–691.
- Hicks J, Flaitz C: Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands in children and adolescents; assessment of proliferation markers. Oral Oncol 2000:36:454–460.
- Perez DEdC, Pires FR, Alves FA, Almeida OP, Kowalski LP: Salivary gland tumours in children and adolescents; a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of fifty-three cases. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2004;68:895–902.
- Trobs RB, Mader E, Fredrich T, Bennek J: Oral tumours and tumour-like lesions in infants and children. Pediatr Surg Int 2003;19:639–645.
- Shaaban H, Bruce J, Davenport PJ: Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the palate in a child. Br J Plast Surg 2001;54:245–247.
- Koral K, Sayre J, Bhuta S, Abemayor E, Lufkin R: Recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland in paediatric and adult patients: value of multiple lesions as a diagnostic indicator. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2003;180:1171–1174.
Article / Publication Details
Copyright / Drug Dosage / DisclaimerCopyright: All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be translated into other languages, reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, microcopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Drug Dosage: The authors and the publisher have exerted every effort to ensure that drug selection and dosage set forth in this text are in accord with current recommendations and practice at the time of publication. However, in view of ongoing research, changes in government regulations, and the constant flow of information relating to drug therapy and drug reactions, the reader is urged to check the package insert for each drug for any changes in indications and dosage and for added warnings and precautions. This is particularly important when the recommended agent is a new and/or infrequently employed drug.
Disclaimer: The statements, opinions and data contained in this publication are solely those of the individual authors and contributors and not of the publishers and the editor(s). The appearance of advertisements or/and product references in the publication is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness, quality or safety. The publisher and the editor(s) disclaim responsibility for any injury to persons or property resulting from any ideas, methods, instructions or products referred to in the content or advertisements.