Acanthosis nigricans with Severe Obesity, Insulin Resistance and Hypothyroidism: Improvement by Diet ControlKuroki R.a · Sadamoto Y.b · Imamura M.b · Abe Y.b · Higuchi K.b · Kato K.b · Koga T.c · Furue M.d
Divisions of aDermatology and bInternal Medicine, National Kokura Hospital, Kitakyushu, Departments of Dermatology cSchool of Medicine, Fukuoka University, and dKyushu University, Faculty of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
Rie Kuroki, MD, PhD
Division of Dermatology, National Kokura Hospital
Harugaoka 10-1, Kokura-minami-ku
Kitakyushu 802-8533 (Japan)
Tel. +81 93 921 8881, Fax +81 93 922 5072
Do you have an account?
We report on a 27-year-old man with acanthosis nigricans (AN) associated with severe obesity, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism. A very low-calory diet treatment decreased his weight and then ameliorated the insulin-resistant state. These effects were followed by remarkable improvement of the AN prior to the correction of the hypothyroidism. This confirms that AN may be mainly attributed to insulin resistance rather than hypothyroidism per se.
- Kahn CR, Flier JS, Bar RS, Archer JA, Gorden P, Martin MM, Roth J: The syndromes of insulin resistance and acanthosis nigricans Insulin-receptor disorders in man. N Engl J Med 1976;294:739–745.
- Barth JH, Ng LL, Wojnarowska F, Dawber RPR: Acanthosis nigricans, insulin resistance and cutaneous virilism. Br J Dermatol 1988; 118:613–619.
- Rendon MI, Cruz PD, Sontheimer RD, Bergstresser PR: Acanthosis nigricans: A cutaneous marker of tissue resistance to insulin. J Am Acad Dermatol 1989;21:461–469.
- Flier JS: Metabolic importance of acanthosis nigricans. Arch Dermatol 1985;121:193–194.
Cruz PD, Hud JA: Excess insulin binding to insulin-like growth factor receptors: Proposed mechanism for acanthosis nigricans. J Invest Dermatol 1992;98:82S–85S.
- Moller DE, Flier JS: Insulin resistance – Mechanisms, syndromes, and implications. N Engl J Med 1991;325:938–948.
- Matsuoka LY, Wortsman J, Gavin JR, Goldman J: Spectrum of endocrine abnormalities associated with acanthosis nigricans. Am J Med 1987;83:719–725.
- Ober KP: Acanthosis nigricans and insulin resistance associated with hypothyroidism. Arch Dermatol 1985;121:229–231.
Matsuoka LY, Wortsman J, Gavin JR, Kupchella CE, Dietrich JG: Acanthosis nigricans, hypothyroidism, and insulin resistance. Am J Med 1986;81:58–62.