Management of Ovarian Cancer in 14th Gestational Week of Pregnancy by Robotic Approach with Preservation of the FetusChen C.-H.a, b · Chiu L.-H.a · Chan C.a · Liu W.-M.a, b
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, aTaipei Medical University Hospital and bSchool of Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Dr. Wei-Min Liu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Taipei Medical University Hospital and Taipei Medical University
No. 252, Wu-Hsing St., Sinyi District, Taipei 11031 (Taiwan)
Do you have an account?
The objective of this study is to present a rare case of pregnancy complicated with ovarian cancer managed by robotic surgery. A 36-year-old woman suffered from sudden onset of lower abdominal pain during her pregnancy at 14 weeks of gestation. As malignancy was highly suspected, left salpingo-oophorectomy, bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection, and omentectomy were performed by robotic approach. The uterus and fetus were preserved. After surgery, 5 courses of carboplatin and paclitaxel were given, and the patient was delivered by cesarean section at 37 weeks of pregnancy. Follow-up at 18 months showed no signs of cancer recurrence. As there is limited report of pregnancy complicated with ovarian cancer managed by robotic surgery, we provide this rare case and suggest that surgical staging for ovarian malignancy can be safely accomplished by robotic approach at 14 weeks of pregnancy.
© 2015 S. Karger AG, Basel
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E: Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin 2010;60:277-300.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A: Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin 2013;63:11-30.
- Tusheva OA, Gargiulo AR, Einarsson JI: Application of robotics in adnexal surgery. Rev Obstet Gynecol 2013;6:e28-e34.
- Brewer M, Kueck A, Runowicz CD: Chemotherapy in pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2011;54:602-618.
- Zagouri F, Sergentanis TN, Chrysikos D, Filipits M, Bartsch R: Taxanes for ovarian cancer during pregnancy: a systematic review. Oncology 2012;83:234-238.
- Stensheim H, Møller B, van Dijk T, Fosså SD: Cause-specific survival for women diagnosed with cancer during pregnancy or lactation: a registry-based cohort study. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:45-51.
- Dobashi M, Isonishi S, Morikawa A, Takahashi K, Ueda K, Umezawa S, et al: Ovarian cancer complicated by pregnancy: analysis of 10 cases. Oncol Lett 2012;3:577-580.
- He SY, Shen HW, Xu L, Li XL, Yao SZ: Successful management of mucinous ovarian cancer by conservative surgery in week 6 of pregnancy: case report and literature review. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2012;286:989-993.
- Minig L, Otaño L, Diaz-Padilla I, Alvarez Gallego R, Patrono MG, Valero de Bernabé J: Therapeutic management of epithelial ovarian cancer during pregnancy. Clin Transl Oncol 2013;15:259-264.
- Marret H, Lhommé C, Lecuru F, Canis M, Lévèque J, Golfier F, et al: Guidelines for the management of ovarian cancer during pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2010;149:18-21.
- Buser KB: Laparoscopic surgery in the pregnant patient: results and recommendations. JSLS 2009;13:32-35.
- Aslam N, Ong C, Woelfer B, Nicolaides K, Jurkovic D: Serum CA125 at 11-14 weeks of gestation in women with morphologically normal ovaries. BJOG 2000;107:689-690.
- Carter S, Depasquale S, Stallings S: Robotic-assisted laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy during pregnancy. AJP Rep 2011;1:21-24.
- Eichelberger KY, Cantrell LA, Balthazar U, Boggess KA, Strauss RA, Boggess JF: Robotic resection of adnexal masses during pregnancy. Am J Perinatol 2013;30:371-375.
- Colombo N, Peiretti M, Parma G, Lapresa M, Mancari R, Carinelli S, et al: Newly diagnosed and relapsed epithelial ovarian carcinoma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 2010;21(suppl 5):v23-v30.
- Seamon LG, Richardson DL, Copeland LJ: Evolution of the Gynecologic Oncology Group protocols in the treatment of epithelial ovarian cancer. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2012;55:131-155.
- Cardonick E, Iacobucci A: Use of chemotherapy during human pregnancy. Lancet Oncol 2004;5:283-291.
- Ebert U, Löffler H, Kirch W: Cytotoxic therapy and pregnancy. Pharmacol Ther 1997;74:207-220.
- Van Calsteren K, Heyns L, De Smet F, Van Eycken L, Gziri MM, Van Gemert W, et al: Cancer during pregnancy: an analysis of 215 patients emphasizing the obstetrical and the neonatal outcomes. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:683-689.
- Cristea M, Han E, Salmon L, Morgan RJ: Practical considerations in ovarian cancer chemotherapy. Ther Adv Med Oncol 2010;2:175-187.
- Méndez LE, Mueller A, Salom E, González-Quintero VH: Paclitaxel and carboplatin chemotherapy administered during pregnancy for advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol 2003;102:1200-1202.
- Cardonick E, Bhat A, Gilmandyar D, Somer R: Maternal and fetal outcomes of taxane chemotherapy in breast and ovarian cancer during pregnancy: case series and review of the literature. Ann Oncol 2012;23:3016-3023.
- Rouzi AA, Sahly NN, Sahly NF, Alahwal MS: Cisplatinum and docetaxel for ovarian cancer in pregnancy. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2009;280:823-825.
- Petrillo M, Legge F, Ferrandina G, Monterisi A, Pedone Anchora L, Scambia G: Fertility-sparing surgery in ovarian cancer extended beyond the ovaries: a case report and review of the literature. Gynecol Obstet Invest 2014;77:1-5.
- Nam JH, Park JY: Fertility-sparing surgery for young women with early-stage epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Obstet Invest 2013;76:14-24.
- Cardonick E, Usmani A, Ghaffar S: Perinatal outcomes of a pregnancy complicated by cancer, including neonatal follow-up after in utero exposure to chemotherapy: results of an international registry. Am J Clin Oncol 2010;33:221-228.